Moving a phpbb3 forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

icetray

Reaction score
I figure I'll start by saying I'm not leaving X10, I'm just taking my forum off of X10. Unfortunately, the free service just isn't fast enough, and the forum is a city community forum, so its going to be taking a lot of traffic and usage.

My question though;
How can I move my forum, all its files, and settings, to a new server? (including mysql) I know a few people have done it in the past, but personally I've never done such a thing. So I was wondering if anyone could explain the process, before I attempt it and make something bad happen, haha.
-or would I be better off asking on the phpbb forums?

(For those who may suggest buying premier x10, the reason we're moving the forum to a new server, is because the new server is a premium server paid for by one of the memebers.)

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, the easiest way would be like you said purchasing premium as we could just move it all for you. But, since you are unable to do that you can try using the backup tool in the cPanel or go to the file manager and zip all the files and dump the database or else you can just the phpbb backup..

icetray

Reaction score
Well, the way we see it, is there's little sense in us paying for another server, when there is already a paid server for us to use.
However, I currently cannot access my cpanel, ftp, or site, due to this whole moving process, which I was under the impression was over with by now, but as I'm currently experiencing, its not. At this rate, its looking grim that I'll be able to get the forum backed up and moved.

Although is there a readme or a help file somewhere of what you stated? I've never had to do this before, so I'm rather stumped to be honest, even if I could access my cpanel, I think I would just be running blind, haha.

Last edited:

icetray

Reaction score
So in reality, the act of setting up a forum on x10's free service, was a terrible idea? (under the circumstances it ever had to be moved) I appriciate the assistance, and unfortunately still hold no desire to purchase a premium package, so its looking like the forum will be rebuilt on the new server.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Last edited:

zapzack

Reaction score
Actually its very simple to move.. You just need to create a zip of the forums in the cPanel file manager and a sql backup from phpmyadmin.

Edit: Decided to spend some time detailing it..

Step One:
1. Login to cPanel.
2. Go to File Manager.
3. Go to your forums directory.
4. Select all files.
5. Compress all files into a zip archive using the compress icon.
6. Close the popup window.
7. Select the zip archive you just created and download it.

Step Two:
1. Go to phpMyAdmin in cPanel.
2. Click on export tab.
3. Select the phpbb database.
4. Scroll down to bottom.
5. You will see "Save As File".
6. You can rename this file if you wish.
7. I suggest leaving compression set to "None".
8. Click on the Go button on the right. The download will start.

Step Three:
1. Upload files in FTP.
2. Import DB file in phpmyadmin.
3. Fix the administration settings in the phpbb admin panel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.