My computer isn't reading DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunoais

Reaction score
Hi I cannot make my computer to read DVD's.
I insert the DVD and it doesn't detect it.
It's a DVD +-RW/+-R DL drive.
What may be wrong?
It can read and burn CD's without any problems!

Jordan C

Reaction score
Try buying a DVD drive cleaning kit, they should be really cheap. You can just pop that in and it should fix your problems.

Or you could always try buying a new drive, which is not as cheap, but should fix it.

TheMan177

Reaction score
brunoais, is the device in question actually identified as a DVD drive by the operating system?

kundamor

Reaction score
if you are using lowering os then xp you will also require directx-9. make sure...

Mongoose92

Reaction score
I have similar problems with my drive. The main reason is that a lot of disks are copy-protected, and a simple but crude version of this is to stop a computer with a DVD-writer from reading disk. I have a second PC with a newer drive, which doesn't have this problem, so an easy, but possibly time consuming solution is to copy the disk onto a DVD-RW which should remove the copy-protection, and allow you to read it on your normal PC.

flamegas

Reaction score
Maybe because of Burning Software ,I used to Nero Buring Rom 7 and I am facing that kind of problem ,can read and burn DVD but not CD-R or CD-RW. I upgraded my Nero to version 8 and My drive can read and burn DVD or CDs.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
It could be tons of problems, most likely one with it's driver or configuration since it can read CD's. Try reinstalling the drivers. I would call the company support.

Max1337

Reaction score
It could be tons of problems, most likely one with it's driver or configuration since it can read CD's. Try reinstalling the drivers. I would call the company support.

Agreed.
Usually reinstalling drivers fixes problems, if not though then it might be damaged or the OS your using may have a virus or something conflicting with the current drivers.
Reinstalling Windows also fixes the problems.

But if reinstalling the drivers doesn't work and you don't want to reinstall Windows, try calling the manufacturer of your computer (if it's store bought), or the manufacturer of your DVD drive... That is, if they have support, which they should lol.

brunoais

Reaction score
Ok I fixed it.
I wasn't remembering but it seemed like that uninstalling and installing the drive solved the problem.
I remembered that while I was reading about upgrading the drivers.
Thx for trying to help everyone
Edit:
oh, it seems like I cannot close the thread, so I say:
You may close the thread now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.