My desktop doesn't seem to connect...

the_site

Reaction score
I got a desktop from a friend awhile ago, it is a Dell Optiplex GX240. At least I know of.
I was gladly to take it, So I grabbed my Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter. It worked about couple minutes then it disconnected.

Every time I try to reconnect it says Acquiring Network Address or Limited or No Connection. I tried pinging to see if I am getting anything, but nothing happens. I look at the Wireless Network Status, I get some packets sent, but nothing gets received.

Lastly, I have a Laptop that connects to my Wireless Connection perfectly, not to mention the Desktop's upstairs from the router.

greatm

Reaction score
I personally haven't used one of Belkin's USB adapters, but from friends and online reviews I wouldn't reccomend them. Some various things you can try from what I have heard are to re-install the drivers from here: http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/297 and see if that helps.

It was also suggested to switch to the b mode if the normal mode doesn't work, though installing other drivers seems to knock mode out of use as well.

I used one of Belkin's old slot wifi cards before and it was a paint o get to work, I'd advise going with a better brand next time you get a wireless adapter. While Belkin is pretty decent at most of the other stuff it makes, Everything I have seen and heard about their wireless adapters makes me tend to reccomend against them.

If you have the ability, I'd also check a different USB port. It might just be an issue between your adapter and the port.

the_site

Reaction score
I have heard are to re-install the drivers from here: http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/297 and see if that helps.

I tried that plenty of times, I actually did some more research of similar cases like mine. I finally got somewhat connected, but I couldn't get online. So tried to ping my router and couldn't.
Got the message of: ping transmit failed error code 65.

Uninstalled Zonealarm, Restarted, and the latest I am looking right now is that I am connected to the Internet.

wongers

Reaction score
my first suggestion is when you get "connected" to what ever connection you have, go to Start > Run > CMD

this will then open the command prompt box, once you have this open type in "ipconfig" and hit enter, this will then display all your active connections and their respective IP addresses.

from this you should be able to see something "wireless conection 1" and it will give you stuff like the status and the IP address.

if the IP address starts with 192.168 then at least gives you the starting point that you have an active connection too your router, if you have an IP that starts with 168. then this means it has not had an IP assigned by DHCP and does not have an active connection.

this should be your starting point. if you need any more help, give me a shout and ill see what i can come up with :)

the_site

Reaction score
my first suggestion is when you get "connected" to what ever connection you have, go to Start > Run > CMD

this will then open the command prompt box, once you have this open type in "ipconfig" and hit enter, this will then display all your active connections and their respective IP addresses.

from this you should be able to see something "wireless conection 1" and it will give you stuff like the status and the IP address.

if the IP address starts with 192.168 then at least gives you the starting point that you have an active connection too your router, if you have an IP that starts with 168. then this means it has not had an IP assigned by DHCP and does not have an active connection.

this should be your starting point. if you need any more help, give me a shout and ill see what i can come up with :)

I did that way before you even told me:biggrin:, my last post was explaining how I fixed it. Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it.