My first site

kylebenk

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm just starting out designing and developing, pretty much teaching myself through tutorials and books. I'm creating a personal site just to see how it goes and what I can learn. If you have time, let me know what you think and how I can improve. Thanks for any input!

http://kylebenkert.x10.mx/

-Kyle

eggo9432

Reaction score
I like the site. The colors match and it looks really good. I would advise adding this bit of code to every page:

html { overflow-y: scroll; }

I stop the pages that do not have scroll bars form moving slightly to the right. Good job and keep it up!

kylebenk

Reaction score
Thanks eggo.

I added that piece of code to my style sheet and shifted everything to where it should be.

Thank you for the input.

-Kyle

eggo9432

Reaction score
No problem. I also have to comment by saying that the site loads extremely quickly and that is a very good feature!

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Also, instead of having a link that links to your personal facebook page, you should probably make one specifically for your website.

kylebenk

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that I should make a facebook page dedicated to my site? If so, what would be the advantages of doing that over having it link to my personal facebook page?

-Kyle

eggo9432

Reaction score
Yes, I do mean having a facebook page just for your site. The advantage of doing so is that it allows you to appeal to those people who live off of facebook. By sending a message from your new account, you can tell people of new updates and things like that. I more or less do it so that I can send messages to everyone that likes my page and not piss off one of my 320 or so freinds, who could care less about updates to my site.

wifiber

Reaction score
Not bad. I really like that background image you used, by the way. All of the colors go together, it seems like a pretty original design, plus I like the minor animations on buttons...

First impressions are that it is put together pretty well.

Though, you might want to get a top level domain instead of an x10 domain. Even a free TLD just to test it out or whatever. The site itself looks good though.

kylebenk

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that I will create a facebook for the site so that I can also avoid spamming all of my friends with site updates. Also, I will be looking into a top level domain at some time, but for now I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing and that I can keep things updated regularly.

Thanks again!

omg88

Reaction score
Your website looks cool.. Yeah it loads quite fast as well.