my first website

garrensilverwing

Reaction score
this is my first website, it doesnt have some of the fancy stuff like the other sites i have seen on here but i am still looking for a review it was done all with css/html, with just a little java this is a pet project of mine and right now the content is kind of sparse and no money for a domain name but i still have put a lot of time into it i am interested in what seasoned website designers will say about it

brianwallchess.x10hosting.com

btw, works best with IE7 some bugs with other browsers

Last edited:

compwhizii

Banned
Reaction score
It's okay for your first website. Some things to address include the color scheme. The current blue on blue is somewhat hard to read, and when you get an error, The black on blue is impossible to read. Just fix those, and It will be good.

freecrm

Reaction score
Considering this is your first site, it's pretty impressive.

I agree with compwhizii about the colour scheme though.

In addition, you might want to add a body css with some font style other than the default.

In addition, you could use some <li> css classes to jass up the menu a bit more - possibly putting borders on?

Lastly, you could put in some meta data in your header - specifically meta descriptor and some keywords.

Sohail

Reaction score
Looks quite good for a first try, perhaps the layout needs to be changed, it's not that colourful and if could do with some fancy graphics...

dickey

Reaction score
also while using firefox 3 on linux. I noticed the bottom part of the write-up about brian wall is being covered by an advertisement AUS Web. Other than that I would recommend centering the page maybe putting the whole thing in one container div and putting margin:auto; should do the trick. I believe you have changed the color thing they are all talking about. Coz it is just fine with me.

balaji2u

Reaction score
Great work for the newbie.
but you need to use the space available to feel it like comfortable.the current design is packed tightly. give it some air :D

cobyone

Reaction score
I wish my first design was this good.

I'd been designing sites for a while before I produced one close to this. The issues about the colour scheme are relevant, but I wouldnt worry too much - I like the fact that for the most part you have chosen a consistent colour scheme with various shades of dark blue with white for some elements.

If you really want to improve your design skills, one very reliable way is to download some themes like
This:http://fullahead.org/index.php/work/project/lazydays/
This:http://www.oswd.org/design/preview/id/3559
Or any of the other free templates here:
http://www.oswd.org

Open those sites in a text editor, and learn how those sites make use of simple css to make sites that are very clean and straight forward.

Well done for a first site.