My forum not loggin IP addresses (Chopin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
This seems to have started around the time Chopin was upgraded. My forum (SMF 1.1.14) has not been able to log IP addresses of visitors. I have changed nothing in the software load or config. No errors showing up in any logs that I can see. Anyone have any ideas?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Are all of the forum visitors visiting from the same IP address, by any chance? Please don't say the IP address here if this is the case. The Online list should provide this information, along with any members' profiles.

Are you talking about the IP Address History that shows up inside of a user's Tracking page?

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
Any visitor or registered user shows up with an IP of 0.0.0.0 in the Who's Online list. As I mentioned, this behavior only started since Chopin was upgraded. The user profile and forum error log are simply blank in the IP address field. Oddly, the only place that I see actual IP addresses are in the logs for the httpBL anti-spam mod, which has been working fine since I installed it several months ago. Obviously, there is something different in the mechanism that httpBL uses to grab the IP address, but I'm a code copier, not a programmer... :) At any rate, it was all working fine until last week, so it seems to be some issue related to the server side.

My non-public testbed forum that I use for testing mods shows the same behavior; is is in a different subfolder on my server space, and I'm really the only one who has access to it.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Correction, I just saw a guest appear in the forum error log from 127.0.0.1, which I know enough to recognize at the loopback address. Spoof? The next entry after it is blank, as described before, and both were attempted registrations identified by email address check at stopforumspam.com as spammers by the other anti-spam mod I have installed.

Both anti-spam mods seem to still be working fine, although the stopforumspam.com checker is unable to do an IP check because of this problem.

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited:

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
I've read some suggestions in the SMF support forums that this kind of problem can be caused by IPV6.

Anyone?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I've read some suggestions in the SMF support forums that this kind of problem can be caused by IPV6.

Anyone?

It may be related, but I don't believe x10Hosting has enabled IPv6 support on Free Hosting.

Any visitor or registered user shows up with an IP of 0.0.0.0 in the Who's Online list. As I mentioned, this behavior only started since Chopin was upgraded. The user profile and forum error log are simply blank in the IP address field. Oddly, the only place that I see actual IP addresses are in the logs for the httpBL anti-spam mod, which has been working fine since I installed it several months ago. Obviously, there is something different in the mechanism that httpBL uses to grab the IP address, but I'm a code copier, not a programmer... :) At any rate, it was all working fine until last week, so it seems to be some issue related to the server side.

My non-public testbed forum that I use for testing mods shows the same behavior; is is in a different subfolder on my server space, and I'm really the only one who has access to it.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Correction, I just saw a guest appear in the forum error log from 127.0.0.1, which I know enough to recognize at the loopback address. Spoof? The next entry after it is blank, as described before, and both were attempted registrations identified by email address check at stopforumspam.com as spammers by the other anti-spam mod I have installed.

Both anti-spam mods seem to still be working fine, although the stopforumspam.com checker is unable to do an IP check because of this problem.

Cheers,

Jim

I've installed a test install of SMF onto Starka (under my test account). It's seeing the same issues. It might be an issue with the recent PHP upgrades, but the 127.0.0.1 IPs you see are from the Reverse Proxy setup we use as a part of load balancing. The 0.0.0.0 IP addresses might also be from the same setup. Someone did alert the admins to this issue, as despite the setup we have it should be passing the IPs onto the software.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
This problem should now be solved. Was taken care of this morning.

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
Thanks very much, IP addresses are back! And thank also to the staff behind the scenes who helped with this! I'll close this thread.

Regards,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.