My site has been blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielle.seiley61

Prime Account
Reaction score
After not being able to access my site for close to 48hours now I headed over to Co.cc to see if they were the reason and they were. I was given 4 or 5 reasons as to why my site was being blocked and knowing that there is nothing wrong with my site I submitted a support request.

I am being told that X10hosting's DNS addresses:
ns1.x10hosting.com &
ns2.x10hosting.com

are on their blocklists. There is nothing I can do about this problem as I'm not the people in charge of x10hosting.

Please take the time to submit this to the people in charge

Thanks,
Danielle

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the combination of free hosting and free domains is going to result in a few bad apples spoiling things for everybody -- there's little or no risk or outlay, and some types of scams (phishing, in particular) only need to be live for a matter of hours to cause rather a lot of damage. And that damage spills over to the providers of both the hosting and the domains.

Co.cc is taking a hard line because their domain (and you only have a subdomain of their domain) was essentially blacklisted from web searches. Not just their free domains, but the ones they sold as well -- and that costs them money. The good folks here are working at coming to a solution (recent changes have really restricted the opportunities for some types of abusive accounts, the staff are ever-vigilant, and they respond quickly and decisivly to outside complaints) but that may not be easy.

If you can afford it, a real domain of your own -- not somebody's subdomain -- is almost always the best option. And (sorry, Corey) keeping your host and your domain registrar separate is better still. The cost isn't too bad (an outfit like Gandi.net will sell you a completely independent domain for about $10/yr), and you're not tied to the fortunes of any single host. Beware of "free whois protection" though -- that actually means you don't own the domain, you're just being allowed to use it.

danielle.seiley61

Prime Account
Reaction score
I actually have had my own domain names before through GoDaddy, but financially difficult circumstances costed me my last domain name and I've been forced to use Co.cc's domain for about a year now. I am hoping things will change but it was either keep my website offline or use a free domain name. I heard about the Google & Co.cc thing and that really sucked since i use google apps for business & other google tools for my website.

Well I hope x10hosting & Co.cc are talking and working on coming to an agreement soon.

Thanks,
Danielle

Status
Not open for further replies.