My website is gone??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jportfol

Reaction score
Hi, I may've missed something, but did something major happen to the servers or something? Because my site that I've slaved over for half a year appears to've never existed.

I admit I took a break of maybe a few months, but I don't think it was enough to delete it because of inactivity or something was it?

Luckily I back it up regularly, but I'm just wanting to know what happened and if I can get it back? When I last left I think it was because parts of the server that made the site not break itself were under construction, so I meant to take a short break...

Any answers would be great thanks!

EDIT: And it's not just the one page, my entire domain and all directories vanished.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You do have to log in to your account portal (http://x10hosting.com/portal/?) at least once every thirty days to prevent suspension for inactivity. Once your account has been suspended for 14 days, it will automatically enter a queue for deletion. So yes, "a break of maybe a few months" is more than enough to get your account deleted. You can recreate the account exactly as it was, provided that nobody else has chosen your old subdomain and you have backups to restore (although it may take a little while for your new account to be created if there are other requests ahead of you in the queue).

If you know you aren't going to be able to log in to your account portal for an extended period, you can choose to purchase an upgrade to Prime service. It's still on the Free Hosting servers; the only real difference is that you get an extra database and you don't have to log in every 30 days while your Prime membership is active.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i am sure you get notification or warning by x10 hosting...

It's not always delivered, though. Back when users were allowed to have x10hosting.com subdomains, some of the abusive behaviour that users of free services often get up to caused the entire x10hosting.com domain to be added to blacklists and spam filters. It has been removed from the major spamhaus service lists, but not from all ISP-run or non-forgiving Bayesian spam filters. DO NOT rely on automated emails to remind you to pay your bills (and logging in to your account portal here is how you "pay the bill" for Free Hosting).

jportfol

Reaction score
Alright thanks all for letting me know what happened. I'll be more careful next time.

Also in the future is there a way to download everything out of your directories all at once?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
You can use cPanel --> File Manager to compress files/directories and then download the resulting zip file. If you want to do your entire site, go up one level from public_html to /home/yourUserName , select public_html , and then zip that. After you download the zip, remember to delete the original zip file (not the directory) on the server to save space.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.