MySQL down on Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay |

Reaction score
MySQL seems to not be working on the Level server

Can't contact the database server: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11) (localhost))

Worked fine for the past week. Didn't make any changes to the connection settings. I had this problem before on another host and they said it was because the MySQL service crashed.

Last edited:

isonwiki

Reaction score
Same here. This morning I started getting a 500 error, then the MySQL error, now the 500 error again. I assume that means x10 is fixing it?

Last edited:

team1100

Reaction score
dont know but i need my site back by tomarrow morning for a meeting with Dow chemical Corperation for my robotics team

brucehal

Reaction score
Completely off-topic question, how did you get your wiki to cache? Mine won't do it. It's running extremely slow.
Since this is an off topic question, please reply to any further questions on it by sending me a private message here or email.

MediaWiki.org has some help manual pages about caching. But to make it easy for you:

• Create (if it doesn't exist) a folder called cache in the main wiki folder.
  • Make sure LocalSettings.php has:

## Set $wgCacheDirectory to a writable directory on the web server
## to make your wiki go slightly faster. The directory should not
## be publically accessible from the web.
$wgCacheDirectory = "$IP/cache";

# Cache Sidebar
$wgEnableSidebarCache = true;

# Cache static pages for non-logged-in users to reduce database traffic
$wgFileCacheDirectory = "$IP/cache";
$wgUseFileCache = true;

## Depth of subdirectory hierarchy under $wgFileCacheDirectory (above) Note: 0 is recommended
## for small wikis, very large ones should use a higher number or otherwise investigate this setting
$wgFileCacheDepth = 0;

Further caching options are limited unless the server is running various programs. I have not investigated if x10 is running them. The above caching options should be enough for most small wikis. Obviously more would be better.

Last edited:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
x10 shared hosting (that means Free, Prime, Illuminated, and Premium) do not have any of the shared caching methods available (APC, memcached, etc.) due to the security risks and resource usage these caches would take. You are therefore limited to caching either in files or in your database. For MediaWiki, database caching is accomplished by setting $wgMainCacheType = CACHE_DB; in your LocalSettings.php -- see if that offers any improvements over not caching at all (it might, it might not).

brucehal

Reaction score
x10 shared hosting (that means Free, Prime, Illuminated, and Premium) do not have any of the shared caching methods available (APC, memcached, etc.) due to the security risks and resource usage these caches would take. You are therefore limited to caching either in files or in your database. For MediaWiki, database caching is accomplished by setting $wgMainCacheType = CACHE_DB; in your LocalSettings.php -- see if that offers any improvements over not caching at all (it might, it might not).
Thanks, Skizzerz.

Some good info there. I have not investigated using CACHE_DB since I felt it wasn't needed, any problems with speed beyond what I've already done seems to be related to other issues with x10 (First Byte Time:DNS, socket and negotiations) but I might try it and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.