MYSQL Error

icetray

Reaction score
Well, heres the error (somewhat) that I'm getting
Fatal error: mysql error: [1: Can't create/write to file '/var/tmp/#sql_9469_0.MYI' (Errcode: 28)] (or any other errors related to a .MYI file)

The help and support of Zen Cart provides this solution;
If you are the server/host administrator and can control disk configurations/permissions on your server, either reconfigure MySQL to use another location with more space available; or add more space to the indicated volume/mount-point (in the example above, that would be /var); or relax security surrounding the /var/tmp folder for the MySQL user.
If you are not the server administrator, you need to report the error to your host/web-company so that they can resolve the situation for you. This is a good time to remind you to do regular backups... You should be sure to double-check all your data after encountering such an error, and having a good backup on hand could save you tons of trouble.

So I'm wondering now. Is it possible for me to resolve this myself? Or am I basically out of options? I'm not sure how the MySQL works with x10, I'm not sure if I'm able to allocate more space or not.

In addition, this was a provided solution by an individual user who stated Zen Cart's solution is incorrect;

It is likely that your /usr/tmpDSK is corrupted. You should stop all processes that have files open on /tmp such as MySQL and other applications using:

/usr/sbin/lsof /tmp

Run the following commands (in that order):

/bin/umount -l /tmp
/bin/umount -l /var/tmp
/bin/rm -fv /usr/tmpDSK

/scripts/securetmp
This should create a new /tmp partition for you. That's all
Is there anyway I can go about this? Or is it admin controlled? I don't normally mess in this area of my server, this is the first time I've had problems in this area, so I'm extremely confused.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It's probably a transient condition. If you're still getting the error in a day or two, you'll need to open a support ticket.

Zen Cart's explanation is technically correct and it agrees with the MySQL newsletter article "Error 28, how to avoid it." The error code is the system error code ENOSPC and is not specific to MySQL. It's possible that some form disk corruption is causing the amount of free space to be misreported, it's also possible (and more likely) that the partition just doesn't have enough space.

Some more information: a ".myi" file holds table indices. The filename and location indicates it's the index for a temporary table resulting from a SELECT statement that's exceeded the size of the MySQL tmp_table_size variable. On Lotus, tmp_table_size is currently 32MiB, which suggests a runaway query from Zen Cart. It's also possible that the table the SELECT is querying is corrupt, causing a runaway query, in which case you could try repairing your tables from within phpMyAdmin. Or maybe it's just a big query.

Last edited:

icetray

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for replying.

Lets say hypothetically, I'd want to resort to checking the runaway query theory. I've heard of the Error 28, and some people validated the problem existing by refreshing the directory, and within a day or two (or three, give or take a few) the problem returned, which gave that specific user the knowledge that it was going to be a reoccuring problem. However, I don't seem to have permission to reset, basically an access denied, lack of privilage.

Although, I should have mentioned mine specifically says
1 Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_44db_0.MYI' (Errcode: 30)
in:
[begin massive directory list.]
I'm unsure if error code 30, is the same in relevance to 28.

lhyman

Reaction score
What server are you on? My zencart works fine. Another user was complaining about some php errors about the tmp dir and mysql. Maybe you are both on the same server and it has a mysql problem... If you submit a support ticket and get the situation resolved, could you please post the results here, thanks
Edit:
see this post, Brandon just fixed the problem

http://forums.x10hosting.com/free-hosting/100569-mysql-error-cant-create-write-file.html

Way to go Brandon !!!!

Last edited:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Although, I should have mentioned mine specifically says
1 Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_44db_0.MYI' (Errcode: 30)
in:
I'm unsure if error code 30, is the same in relevance to 28.
That makes a big difference. System error code 30 is EROFS, read-only file system. Nothing to do with available space. System error codes are defined in errno.h, which you can find online or on any Unix flavor. The meaning of the error numbers might vary from OS to OS, but the lower error numbers will be fairly consistent.

icetray

Reaction score
Well, big thanks to Brandon, haha. Seems the problem resolution was out of my hands anyway, problem is gone now though.
Thanks for pointing that out, lhyman.

And thanks misson for the help you provided.