MySQL Speed test..... I need ur help !!

careerbridge

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Look, I am very very seroius in this matter ;)

I am developing a my-own database management system which is fully coded in php. I am almost completed and now I need a speed test comparison with other databases ( preferably MySQL )

I have created a test database with a field length of 100 bytes (single field) and have 30,000 records. My test results shows 0.509052038193 sec for searching through the entire 30,000 records.

I don't even know this is a good speed or not :( So I need openions from experts. You can find a its test page on x10 server here... http://careerbridge.edu.ms/mcdb/speed.php If anyone here can do a similer test in mySQL, that would be good !!

Looking forward to ur comments, suggestions and critics,
CRB

chris218

Reaction score
MySQL is by far the quickest, but it could be slower from host to host. Performance wise, MySQL is best.

A hist running say MSSQL on a top of the range server, would probably be quicker than MySQL on not such a good server, it is hard to say. But performance wise, definately MySQL using MyIsam

Chris Z

Reaction score
i just tested yours and it came out to be "Search took 0.269733905792 seconds" so it's slightly faster than the one you posted but idk how to do this on mysql, sorry ;) but it's awesome that you're making a whole new database system :)

careerbridge

Reaction score
billybob bo buck....well, 0.269733905792 seconds is twise faster !!! Thanks a lot for the info :)

anyone else... please help !! ;) I realy need feedbacks on this !!

Last edited:

Torch

Reaction score
Last 2 test I done through your file took about 2,4 seconds, even though previous two I tried were ~0,5 secs. So, that clearly shows that search speed is heavly dependant on current server load and it's speed.
I browsed your mcdb directory and I see that you have file db.txt. If that the database you stated your speedtest is searching, than you can't really make a good comparison since txt files are slower read than eg. MySql data files.
If not, which database type are you searching (since you ask for comparison to MySql)?

careerbridge

Reaction score
Let me ask this !!! What is a datafile ?? I guess every particular OS have a file system and all the file created in it have the same speed of read/write.

Let's take this defenition from http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/DASL/Reference/defdatafile.html

What is a datafile?
A datafile is a collection of data, often called a "dataset." In general, each datafile will follow a particular format. This is to help with uniformity throughout the library. The format is provided below:

Data format:

* Datafile Name: (datafile name)
* Datafile Subject: (e.g., Environment, Medical, Sports)
* Story Name(s): (corresponding story name(s))
* Reference: (data source)
* Authorization: (describe copyright restrictions to the data, if any)
* Description: (a description of the data: length, purpose of study)
* Variable Names: (a list of the variable names and interpretations)
* Data: (data as space- or tab-delimited text)

Thus database is a well colleted source of informations in which the location of each byte is predefined !! Even if it is a text file or a .mdb file, OS handles it the same way.

why mySQl is fast,
Their unique separation of the core server from the storage engine makes it possible to run with very strict control, or with ultra fast disk access, whichever is more appropriate for the situation.

My code not deals with a separation of the core server from the storage engine and it does not require a installation. All u need to include a 10kb driver file in to ur php file. When I almost completed I feel that my code runs very fast and I need a comparison with present databases.

Well, the class file that i created can read/write in any file type and If u still think one file type is faster, tell me. The class could write on any files !!

CRB

randomize

Reaction score
First Time:
Search took 0.33873796463 seconds

Second Time:

Search took 0.554307937622 seconds

Third Time:
Search took 0.305633068085 seconds

Fourth Time:
Search took 0.266182184219 seconds

Fifth Time:
Search took 0.361886978149 seconds

Those five times were done, just by me deep refreshing the page. It depends on the server speed etc.

Regards,
Randomize

Last edited:

Torch

Reaction score
careerbridge said:
Let me ask this !!! What is a datafile ?? I guess every particular OS have a file system and all the file created in it have the same speed of read/write.

Let's take this defenition from http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/DASL/Reference/defdatafile.html

Thus database is a well colleted source of informations in which the location of each byte is predefined !! Even if it is a text file or a .mdb file, OS handles it the same way.

why mySQl is fast,

My code not deals with a separation of the core server from the storage engine and it does not require a installation. All u need to include a 10kb driver file in to ur php file. When I almost completed I feel that my code runs very fast and I need a comparison with present databases.

Well, the class file that i created can read/write in any file type and If u still think one file type is faster, tell me. The class could write on any files !!

CRB
Is that directed toward me?
If yes, no offense but please don't try to teach me anything (reminder) :)
And I wasn't criticizing you (even though you asked fot that too: "Looking forward to ur comments, suggestions and critics,"), just giving a few pointers like you asked in the first post. There's no need to get all defensive.

careerbridge

Reaction score
Ooops, I realy didn't ment to hurt you. Sorry if I did !! :(

Yes, u r important to me and I am always thankful to u for helping me..... I was just explaining the datafile concept that I am working with ( and was not directed to you )

EDIT :: Please don't take these chit chat seriously

Last edited: