MySQLdb for Python

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Just haven't had a chance, we've been quite busy with some upcoming changes to x10. When things slow down a bit I'd be happy to look into installing extra modules. Just keep reminding me :)

-Corey

Dannz

Reaction score
It was me that made the request. I'm kind of hanging on having the MySQLdb as the glue between the database, Python and the Flash swf front-end. I can live without the other modules and work around not having XML if need be, but MySQLdb is fairly fundamental. I understand its been busy with PHP etc., but when you do have a chance it would be appreciated. Thanks *Face for raising this - I was giving up hope and thinking I might have to find a new home. :(
Edit:
I just saw the post from *Face asking for help on Python.

The following simple script might help. Just put in in the cgi-bin (with 711) and either name it with a .cgi extension. You just have to pass the parameters - database name, user name, password, and a SQL statement, and it will return the results of the SQL statement.

WARNING - I would not use this 'live' - modify it to suit you, but it isn't a good idea to allow access to full SQL query - I usually hardcode the "SELECT xx FROM xx WHERE" and have the remainder passed from the client side - you can join the two bits together in the Python cgi script - easy ->

prefix = "SELECT * FROM myDatabase WHERE "
stmt = prefix + incomingSnippet
cursor.execute(stmt)

<- Python is nice and easy (and very powerful) - its worth the effort of learning.

Here's the simple version of the cgi script - all the modules are part of the standard Python package except the MySQLdb module (which has to be installed by administrator). :) ->

#!/usr/bin/env python

from SimpleXMLRPCServer import CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler
import MySQLdb
import string

class Pyro:

def pydb(self, mydb, mypw, myusr, stmt, data):
db=MySQLdb.Connect(db=mydb, host='localhost', user=myusr, passwd=mypw)
cursor=db.cursor()
cursor.execute(stmt)
data=cursor.fetchall()
cursor.close()
db.close()
return data

else:
return "no command given"

pdb = Pyro() #create an instance of the class
handler = CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler() #create the handler
handler.register_instance(pdb) #register the instance as a web service
handler.handle_request() #start accepting requests
Edit:
PS - some of the indentation has been lost when posting this - it matters! If you 're not sure about Python indentation, email me on dan()law()nz()gmail()com.
Edit:
Corey, my apologies - I see you asked for some information linking to the MySQLdb module -

MySQLdb can be got from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22307

It is the 'standard' MySQL API for Python - lots more info from Google.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, just keep reminding me I will get this installed once things settle down a bit. 890 total posts yesteday, bleh!

-Corey

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you verify if this works now?

*Face

Reaction score
I tried out a modified version of Dannz's script, and it seems to be working:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

import MySQLdb