Name My Server

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
I just got a new home server (I'll post specs if you guys really want them), and it needs a name. My usual scheme is "uncommon, relatively modern (18th to mid-19th-century) male names". My old server ("Gretel") is a slight break from that, being named after the fairy tale of Hansel and Gretel (it's one of two identical boxes; Mum has Hansel). Given that, I'm thinking of changing the scheme slightly so that servers get female names. Anyone got any ideas?

In return... I dunno. 100 credits to whoever comes up with the name I like most? lol

--- Mr. DOS

Danielx386

Reaction score
Delta
Kylie
Elin
Stacey
Robyna
Shaylee
Stacey
Melissa
Nicole

Others later

Daniel

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
just for fun I would name it *****. (female dog)
because they do everything you ask. =D

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Alma or Shodan are my choices; Alma from FEAR (pc game), Shodan from System Shock's 1 and 2 :)

Although I would use those more on systems that are a bit unruly. Alma tends to set things on fire and rend flesh from bone, Shodan's a power hungry AI that has the habit of complimenting you while insulting you, such as "You are a remarkable example of an inferior race."

Oh, and if you want one that's prone to Viral infection, name it Kerrigan (as in Sarah Kerrigan, Queen of Blades from Starcraft) :)

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Lavinia
Ophelia

fractalfeline

Reaction score
Helga :)
Matilda

Maybe decide what purpose the server will serve, or what "personality" it has, and name it accordingly?

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
fractalfeline said:
Maybe decide what purpose the server will serve, or what "personality" it has, and name it accordingly?
Good point. Its primary function is that of a file server (via Samba, HTTP and FTP); at some point in the future, it may also handle subversion.

Matilda is nice, if not a little old-fashioned. I'm also thinking maybe Phoebe.

--- Mr. DOS

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Just to give you guys an idea of what my current computers are named: my laptop is Bernard, my gaming machine is Shelby, my workstation is Grover, my old laptop is Theodor, and my brother's machine is Reginald. As you can see, they're all fairly normal names (whatever normal is).

--- Mr. DOS

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
lol.

Looking back, "Iris" caught my eye. I'm going to think about it for a bit, but I think that might work.

--- Mr. DOS