Need an Email App...

nchgaming

Reaction score
I'm in need of some help... It seems that our server has once again, been blocked by Yahoo, At&t,....and such. I have no idea how to set one up, or even where to go... to find an external email program that will work with an e107 CMS. I've heard Gmail might work, but without knowing what to put in what fields...I'm sunk. I have no problem with setting up an external account, or even use one I already have as a "backup" Manually entering each member, though is not an acceptable solution though.
I really need to be able to email FROM my site, for news, updates, events, and staff-admin memos, not to mention signup verification emails. any suggestions would be kindly appreciated. Hopefully someone who's recently done this themselves, could give a detailed step- by- step how you did it, and who you went through to set it up. I'm aware that there are a very large number of members, who's system has been crippled by being having email blocked because someone on their server built a reputation for the server as a SPAM source. The most reliable "fix" for this, is an account that does not send FROM this (our) server, but is based/sent from somewhere else. *This applies to MULTIPLE servers, not just one specific example.*
SendMail, PhPMailer, and SMTP are the three options available (I believe), but have no clue how to make anything work, but the already blocked PhPMailer.
I personally already had AT&T AND Yahoo! unblock the ip so I could resume function, but now it's blocked again.

freecrm

Reaction score
php is the one I use on my site for verification and mailshots.

The format is nice and simple. The code below is the code for a basic form mailer, gathering values from $_POST:

PHP:
	<?php

if($_POST['fromname'] <> NULL && $_POST['fromemail'] <> NULL && $_POST['toemail'] <> NULL && $_POST['subject'] <> NULL && $_POST['msg'] <> NULL) {

$fromemail = stripslashes($_POST['fromemail']);
	$toemail = stripslashes($_POST['toemail']);

$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\n";
	$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\n";
	$headers .= "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit\n"; 
	$headers .= 'From: Fromname <'.$fromemail.'>' . "\n";
	$headers .= 'Reply-To: '.$fromemail."\n";
	$headers .= 'X-Mailers: PHP /'.phpversion() . "\n";

$subject = $_POST['subject'];
	$message = $_POST['msg'];

if (@mail($toemail,stripslashes($subject),stripslashes($message),stripslashes($headers)))
	{
		echo ('<p>Your message has been sent.</p>');
	}
	else
	{
		echo ('<p>Your message has failed to send.</p>');
	}

} else {

echo "<p>Please fill out the form completely</p>";

}?>

In addition, you should be able to specify the header "Reply-To", but I have problems with this.

For spoofing, you can use another header "X-Mail-From" or something like that...

Hope this helps.

nchgaming

Reaction score
Howdie! Thanks for the post...but I'm nervous with the idea of putting my cPanel password ANYWHERE within the site itself. (for security reasons?) Is that really safe to do? I mean... I've heard of people who KNOW the CMS systems well enough to "hack" into them easily. I've heard about setting up an external application through a service called "gmail", which I honestly haven't gotten familiar with.
What I'm concerned about though, is that the server's IP has been flagged as a "Spam Source" and the IP range has been blocked by many email servers already. Because it's a shared IP with many accounts, I wouldn't stand a chance of getting it reliably unblocked again. (Did once already)
I was occassionally using the mail-out function to send an email to members and staff (only around 30 total) and ... maybe did that 2 or 3 times. That won't work anymore... I'm also hoping to develope a "newsletter" option for members in the future.
All of this stuff is really tough to comprehend, and below... you'll maybe understand why I sometimes appear to be "dumb as a box of rocks".

Try using SMTP
Use the following info.
SMTP server :localhost
Username: Your cpanel username.
Password: Your cpanel password.

In addition to the above info, try to add a SPF (spoof) record to your domain.
To know more about SPF record visit http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/default.aspx

This should solve your problem with yahoo up to a certain extend.

I don't know if this helps or hurts, but I'd like to inform you, if it matters, that I'm also dealing with A.D.D. Once I REALLY get a feel for this web stuff, I'm contemplating launching an A.D.D. infomation site.
You work on what makes computers tick... I work on what makes me tick... My specific centralization though, is on understanding the fine quirks that make each case different, and learning to "translate" this to people who either don't have a freakin' clue, and think it's all "made up nonsense", and to the people who THINK they know what there talking about. Most doctors would actually fit into the latter.
The MOST important part of THIS aspect however is offering something to the "victims" and their families, that will help them understand, deal with, and work together on. There are both ups and downs to this. BUT! LOOK OUT! Learn the "language" and LEARN how to "tune in" that "out of control" child, and you'll discover another Albert Einstien, Leonardo DaVinci, Alexander Graham Bell, ah... here.. look at this, but ignore the "medication" crap Famous people with ADD
↑ another fine example of "mental wandering" ↑

tbarb

Reaction score
i use ccmail for my site, and enjoy it alot! :D (dont spam, and they wont block you, LoL-Just Kidding!)

tittat

Reaction score
Howdie! Thanks for the post...but I'm nervous with the idea of putting my cPanel password ANYWHERE within the site itself. (for security reasons?) Is that really safe to do?

If you are concerned about the security of your cpanel password then you may try creating an ftp account from your cpanel>>FTP accounts and use that information for your SMTP mail.In this case your cpanel password will be safe.

I've heard about setting up an external application through a service called "gmail", which I honestly haven't gotten familiar with.

You may try using "Mass Mailing Mews"
Mass Mailing News is one of the most proven customer email relationship management software for successful opt-in email marketing campaigns, subscriber lists building. It makes building your business easy with tools that cover every aspect of email marketing. Build your own opt-in contact lists, create and send email campaigns in just minutes. It's never been easier to generate revenue and build relationships.

But the thing is that its a shareware, you need to pay for it.
http://www.massmailingnews.com/

What I'm concerned about though, is that the server's IP has been flagged as a "Spam Source" and the IP range has been blocked by many email servers already.

There may be some users abusing the Free servers .If you wish to be unblocked, the best way is to go for paid hosting and buy a custom ip address.

And as i told you before go and make an SPF record for you domain.

Any other questions please???

mxl33t

Reaction score
Well , I have tried Google Apps and it helped me in the followinh ways , maybe it works for u too ..
1. Lets u use ur own domain and many google services like Docs, Sites, Calendar, Chat etc..
2. upload multiple email id , that is , easy user id creation .
3. u can add CNAME records to let you redirect the mail to goog servers.
4. add spam filters ( btw ,gmail spam filters are good )
5. customize the look , replace google logo with your own
which means users get a more recognizable login
on the down side,
only problem is that standard edition has support for 50 ids .

nchgaming

Reaction score
I was just playing with some search engines, looking for stuff related to my site. And... currently having a repeat of this problem. I wanted to post an update. The problem may be due to some updates still going through (recent server changes), but verification emails have started "bouncing" again, because the shared IP is BLOCKED. This message has been seen from Yahoo!, Hotmail, and AT&T.

For those who didn't "get it" before... this means that NO EMAIL can be originated from this (shared) IP, THUS my site as well.

So... no option available within the CMS, or from the server(while blocked), will work, and must be tied into an external account, to originate the email from a different IP.
I am confident though, in knowing, that it will be working again soon, because X10 is really that good!

Edit: I've looked into and created an SPF, but have no clue where it belongs. My SITE's email form?, The Hosting Server (no control), or where I purchased the domain name from, (in their DNS control)? I'm sure that it won't work correctly unless it's put at the right "stage" of the DNS routing.

Last edited: