Need help in fixing PHP errors

intlx10m

Reaction score
I have this application and need help in fixing some errors in it. Any folks here who would love to help me out?!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Sure — but you're going to have to be just a little more specific, I think.

intlx10m

Reaction score
Thanks!. Didn't expect that someone would reply but i'm really glad!. I downloaded an open source software called "Examination Results Explorer" i installed every thing correctly but it seems like it has a lot of bugs in it. First thing was that i wasn't able to dump SQL files over PHPMYADMIN so, i fixed it the problem was that it was an earlier version.You can find the solution in the comment i made.Even after correcting it i wasn't able to fix the error.I'm a newbie to PHP and can't fix in all the errors.We folks are developing results system for our school.If you really have some free time please have a look at it.Its under General Public License which i believe gives right for everyone to modify it and use it to very best of their knowledge.The link for the application is http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpere/

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'll take a look. Judging by the update history, it's probably written for a much older PHP environment and using a lot of deprecated functions/APIs. (The TYPE/ENGINE thing is telling you that the expected MySQL version is out of date — I believe that was changed going from MySQL 4.x to 5.x.) I'm not encouraged by the 0.0.1 version number; that likely means the code (even if well-written) isn't very robust (that is, it hasn't been exposed to a lot of possible bugs, so it hasn't been hardened against them).

One thing: I know that your existing site is in English. Can I assume English for this project, or will I have to account for Devanagari (and Unicode in general)?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There's almost nothing in the project that would run on a reasonably-modern LAMP setup unless you deliberately turned on all of the possible unsafe settings (and you'd need to have a VPS in order to do that). The PHP essentially needs to be completely rewritten to bring it up to date so it will run today and make sure it survives a transition to PHP version 5.5 (which is looming soon). The HTML would have been considered bad practice in 2004 (the screenshot copyright date) as well; it would only have been acceptable if you needed to support IE4 & 5 and Netscape 4.x (which would have been a distinct possibility in South Asia at the time). And the JavaScript won't work in most modern browsers.

Frankly, it would be a better idea to build a new application from scratch. Not only would it be easier than trying to fix what's there now, it would result in something that's more useful to students, teachers and administrators. I'm willing to help with that. (And no, this isn't a "hire me" thing; replacing the existing project is not a terribly difficult task, and it's an opportunity for you to learn what goes into making software like this from the requirements-gathering phase through to a finished product. It might take a couple of weeks to get it done, but that's mostly because of communication delays and time zones.) But that goes well beyond what's appropriate for this forum, so I'll ask you to PM me if you want to get this started.

intlx10m

Reaction score
Yes, i would really love someone helping me out.It will be in english not in Hindi or some other language.