Need help please with SMTP outgoing mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingwolf

Reaction score
Hi there, still can't send mail through my outgoing server. I tried the auto config in cpanel - it puts in the right info: outgoing+ mail.mydomain.ca port 25 and "require authentication" but it won't work. I tried it manually, which should be pop: mail.mydomain.ca and for smtp: mail.mydomain.ca. Receiving works fine but it won't let me send. I also tried mail.x10hosting.com and mail.elementfx.com, no success. I also tried turning on requires authentication etc. i think i tried all options.

I think my ISP might be blocking port 25 for outgoing mail, is there another port we can use for outgoing mail? I tried port 1095 and 2095, both work, it can find the server but won't send, tried ssl on or off, same thing ...

Does anyone know of other ports or other options?

Thanks

-flyingwolf

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Are you using outlook express or Microsoft Outlook?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like your ISP is blocking it, they will give you a mail server to use. It is common now for ISPs to block this port to help prevent spam. Who is your ISP?

-Corey

oab

Reaction score
Corey i posted a thread asking this before but no1 helped me. Do you know how to set up WebMail? i put pop and smtp to mail.oab.x10hosting.com, i can send mail but i cant recieve. I knkow i shouldnt post this here but i dont feel like going through 3 pages of topics to bump mine.. sorry

flyingwolf

Reaction score
Tyler said:
Are you using outlook express or Microsoft Outlook?
I'm using mostly Microsoft Outlook but don't both need pretty much the same setup, so one should be able to send through both?

Thanks for your reply Tyler

Corey said:
Sounds like your ISP is blocking it, they will give you a mail server to use. It is common now for ISPs to block this port to help prevent spam. Who is your ISP?
Yes I think so too, my ISP is (mostly) Sympatico (Bell/Canada), but I had it working once a couple month ago using port 1095, then it stopped when we had server problems, since then I get "Could find server but could not send" So I was wondering if there is any other ports available for smtp?

The reason why I'm not just sticking to my ISP's provided smtp is cause I'm sometimes in different places with different machines connecting to different ISP's :eek:riginal:

Thanks for all your help Corey

-flyingwolf

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
oab said:
Corey i posted a thread asking this before but no1 helped me. Do you know how to set up WebMail? i put pop and smtp to mail.oab.x10hosting.com, i can send mail but i cant recieve. I knkow i shouldnt post this here but i dont feel like going through 3 pages of topics to bump mine.. sorry

Try using mail.elementfx.com and let me know if that works.

Flyingwolf:

I'll see about opening port 26 up.

-Corey

flyingwolf

Reaction score
Thanks Corey, I'll be tryin port 26 from now on :eek:riginal:

oab:

I'm having a hard time getting webmail to work myself for a long time, may I ask what you using to access webmail? (like squirrel mail? horde? or some module for phpnuke or mambo for example?)

-flyingwolf

oab

Reaction score
Corey said:
oab said:

Try using mail.elementfx.com and let me know if that works.

Flyingwolf:

-Corey

Uhhhh why would i use his domain?

oab

Reaction score
flyingwolf said:
Thanks Corey, I'll be tryin port 26 from now on :eek:riginal:

oab:

I'm having a hard time getting webmail to work myself for a long time, may I ask what you using to access webmail? (like squirrel mail? horde? or some module for phpnuke or mambo for example?)

-flyingwolf
Ohh i used one of those squirrel mail thingys and it worked fine, but the php nuke modules wont work.. Thanks

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're using SMTP and POP you'll have the same mail server as elementfx.com -- Looks like you're all set now though?

-Corey

flyingwolf

Reaction score
Corey said:

nope, don't work either, guess must be blocked as well. The closest I get is on port 2095 :ermm: ???

you know in MS Outlook it lets you test account settings with 4 steps, here's the results on port 25, 26, 1095 and a bunch of others I tried:

>Establish network connection = completed (always works)
>Find outgoing mail server (SMTP) = can't find server or can't logon
>Find incoming mail server (POP3) = completed (always works)
>Logon to incoming mail server (POP3) = completed (always works)
>Send Test e-mail message = Could not send

and here the best results i get using port 2095 :ermm:

>Establish network connection = completed (always works)
>Find outgoing mail server (SMTP) = completed (could find it and logon)
>Find incoming mail server (POP3) = completed (always works)
>Logon to incoming mail server (POP3) = completed (always works)
>Send Test e-mail message = Could not send (Server found but no response, verify port and SSL info)

i also tried all those options for mail.x10hosting.com, smtp.x10hosting.com, mail.elementfx.com, smtp.elementfx.com, mail.mydomain.ca and smtp.mydomain.ca ... no success.

Any ideas would be much appreciated,

Thanks a lot

-flyingwolf

oab

Reaction score
i think your supposed to use main.yourdomain.ca for BOTH of them im not sure though.

Corey, why would mail.elementfx.x10hosting.com be any different than mail.oab.x10hosting?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
It shouldn't, some people have problems with using their subdomain and the mail server. I was suggesting to use it to rule out that possibility :)

oab

Reaction score
ahhhh okay so i could use anyones, but wouldn't that give my users email addresses that are user@someone elses domain.x10hosting.com??

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, it's just the server it's using which is all the same. It's like calling it a different name but it still goes to the same place. It sends it out with your name on it still :)

-Corey

oab

Reaction score
okay cool ill try that, also though i was just wondering how much does it cost to set up a server (a month) if i already have a computer? (I have a couple spares laying around..)

Status
Not open for further replies.