Need help seting up a network

garikr

Reaction score
I have a laptop with Fedora Linux, and Apache on it. I'm trying to access my web server from a winXP netbook, through a network cable( no switch or a router ). The netbook got 3g on it. I've used windows network setup wizard to allow Internet connection sharing. So the winXP netbook connects to the net through the 3g and Linux laptop has no problem connecting to the internet through the netbook. However, the netbook does not want to connect to the Linux Apache server. I've looked up IP addresses, I can ping Linux fine from the netbook, but if I type the IP into browser, I get nothing. Typing the same IP on the Linux browser brings up my Apache page. I've tryed to set up proxy in IE configuration. I've also tried to put the IP into apache's config file under the server name. I'm not too network savvy, so if anybody knows of anything else I might try, please let me know.

walidno1

Reaction score
ok, are u using ethernet LAN cards?? This might not help at all but put the PC (that connects directly to the internet) LAN's mac code (or physical address) into the other PC's (that connects indirectly to the net through ur 1st PC) LAN....might not help at all but try it all the same

steronius

Reaction score
I'm surprised it works at all without a cross-over cable. PC-to-PC usually requires one, maybe one of your NIC's is special.

slacker3

Reaction score
You don't need to configure an proxy for IE.

"get nothing" isn't very helpful, do you get an error code (i.e. timeout, 404,..) ?
Probably you have to configure Fedora's firewall settings to allow connections.

kestrel1

Reaction score
Are you using a cross over Ethernet cable. As said previously a cross over cable is required for PC to PC connectivity. A switch or router would be a better way to connect machines via Ethernet.

garikr

Reaction score
"get nothing" isn't very helpful
It goes to google serach if 3g is or unavalible page if it's off. Basically behaves as if you typed a bogus name.
I'm surprised it works at all without a cross-over cable.
Now that you mention it the cable does have Xover written on the connector, lucky thins time, thx for mentioning this. Gona check my firewall configuration, but wouldn't it have notified me if it was blocking something?
i suspect it's something to do with the windows. There are 4 connections on XP netbook. Ethernet, wi-fi, and two for the 3g, one dial up, which is Verizon 3g interface and another with the 3g card name on it, but which is never on, even when you are connected(so you allways have this nice line of three redxed icons in the system tray). I used the wizard to set up internet connection sharing of the dial up through the ethernet, as soon as I rebooted the ethernet icon disappeared from the tray. When I try to mess with it windows notifies that it is used for connection sharing and should not be messed with. I think windows does not even try to send anything from the explorer through the ethernet.

stesouthby

Reaction score
make sure you configured you ip address properly and configure your dns on both other wise it will fail beacuse it wont be able to see each other if the gateways or ip's are wrong

slacker3

Reaction score
It goes to google serach if 3g is or unavalible page if it's off. Basically behaves as if you typed a bogus name.

Most likely your request goes the wrong way - into the web instead of the lan cable to your linux box. Check XP's routing table. Also, both machines have to be in the same subnet to communicate with each other.

It may be an badly configured IE - use firefox instead. ;)

You don't have to edit apache's config files.

If Fedora recognizes your 3G card i can tell you how to set up linux for connection sharing (takes just a few minutes).

Last edited:

garikr

Reaction score
The netbook isn't mine (Neat little toy with ethernet, wi-fi, 3g, camera built in. 8 hour battery life 1gig of ram. $200 with Verizon $40/month data plan) apparently it has an ethernet wich switches modes. I don't have a crossover cable, even though it says "X,over" on it(Look through the transparent connector, and all the wires are in identical order). I've figured it after tying to connect my Fedora laptop with an XP box. That's what I ultimately need - an XP computer connected to my Linux for testing pages in genuine WinIE. I guess I need a real xover cable, or a switch.
Thak you all for the posts.

mcnigelmcgruff

Reaction score
First, don't worry about the cable. Most ethernet adapters today are able to switch from one Transmit/Receive mode to the other. If your ethernet adapter says anything other than "disconnected", the cable is working correctly. (F.Y.I.: a crossover cable will start will have 'orange striped' then 'orange' starting the line of cables at one end, with 'green striped' then 'green' at the other.) Second, if the Fedora machine is able to access the internet at all, then all of the components are working correctly, however, when you use wizard in Windows to share your internet connection, the results can be unpredictable. In short, you can try some simple steps, like using Firefox as was suggested before; in addition, try putting "http://" before your website to see if you can access it that way. You still want to check your firewall settings on Fedora (you can try turning off the firewall using the command "service iptables stop"); most Linux distros out there will not warn you if something is being blocked, they simply do their job and block it. In the long run, if you are hosting a site on your Fedora box for the world to see, you will want a router between it and the internet, with port forwarding configured.

Good luck.