Need to make my Flash XML Background Fixed

jayuk666

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am working on a new project with an XML Slideshow background.

I then have a fixed navigation column to the left overlaying the background and a content box to the right.

My issue is that I cannot find a way to make the flash xml background to be 'Fixed' so that when there is need to scroll due to lots of content, the background stays put.

Now this is not an issue on a normal image background with the 'Fixed-position' css rule, however cannot get my head around this with my flash xml background.

Take a look guys and get back to me.

www.jamieemmanuel.com/ffi2.0/test.html

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Since it's not actually a background but an element used as a background, you can use fixed positioning, though IE 6 may have problems. What's wrong with that?

Last edited:

jayuk666

Reaction score
Thanks it is sorted now!

Just have a new problem. When I view the draft site live on my macbook via FireFox & Chrome, she displays perfectly. However, on Safari the floating content and menu DIVS do not show and all you see is the Flash Background.

This problem also occurs when accessing the page via a couple of PC's via Chrome and IE.

For some reason it works on my MacBooks Chrome and Firefox!?

I played around to figure this out with the Validator and Index numbering but no luck.

I did play around the the BG's DIV Height and set it too 100px rather than 100% and it showed the DIVS but obviously the BG would not show up correctly. Therefore I think there must be a problem with the BG.

Anyone got any advice?

http://www.jamieemmanuel.com/ffi2.0

Cheers

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
You left out which browser versions you are testing. For example, the flash displays behind all other elements in Safari 4.1. Since Chrome uses the same layout engine, you're probably using an old version of Safari, and it's probably related to the z-index. Set the z-index to all elements other than the BG to a positive value. You could create a FG element that contains all the other foreground elements to make styling simpler.
HTML:
<body>
  <div id="BG">...</div>
  <div id="FG">...</div>
</body>
Also try a web search for "Safari flash z-index". Remember, Google is your friend.