Need Xbox 360 Advice

syedsaid

Reaction score
Hi all, need an advice about buying an xbox360. I want to play halo 3 and plan to buy it soon. My question is, should I buy it right now (as in this week) or is it too late to get a 360 and Microsoft will come with another system in 2 years (since Microsoft released early, they might release another system early)?
Another part is about buying it now (this week or next) compared to waiting till mid-November? What are the odds M$ will drop their price on the system to compete with Sony? Today, M$ announced the price cut in Japan. Is there a price cut coming for the united states? (5-50$ cut in November or December?)

Another question is should i get the premium/pro or the elite? I want to download demos and xbox live arcade games. Will the 20gig be enough or should i get the elite? I personally don't want to spend money on the elite if i don't need the extra space.

I'm sorry if these questions were answered before but did not find the proper answer anywhere (including Google).
Thanks in Advance.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Microsoft has already cut their prices; I doubt they will cut them again. The Elite has extra space and HDMI output; the Premium/Pro console is the best one for budget and overall capability (avoid the Core console). 20 GB will be enough; I've seen demos that are only 700 MB

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
All the current versions of the 360 include a HDMI port now. Even the lowest SKU.

Here are the choices:

Xbox 360 Arcade Console: Comes with wireless controller, memory card, 5 Xbox Live Arcade games. $279.99

Xbox 360 Preimum: Comes with wireless controller, 20 GB Hard drive, Wired XBOX Live headset, White faceplate, Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Limited offer). $349.99

Xbox 360 Elite: Wireless controller, 160 gb hard drive, wired headset. $449.99

Pretty much I'd go with the premium. Unless you're downloading a lot of movies hard drive space wouldn't be an issue. I have one and I'm perfectly content with it. If my space is low, I just delete demos I don't play anymore.

Last edited:

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
My question is, should I buy it right now (as in this week)
Well that would allow you to play it the quickest.

or is it too late to get a 360 and Microsoft will come with another system in 2 years
The earliest the next system will come out is 2010 (given 5 years from the 2005 launch) however, with the slowness of the other two to come out, and MS doing very well in terms of install base, its unlikely there'll be another system until 2012.

What are the odds M$ will drop their price on the system to compete with Sony? Today, M$ announced the price cut in Japan. Is there a price cut coming for the united states? (5-50$ cut in November or December?)
They've dropped it fairly recently, (ie, august) so usually they'd be unlikely to drop it. But they are in a good position with their hardware (actually making money on each one sold) and they MIGHT drop in the next couple of months to stay well below sony. Then again, you'd have to wait longer.

Another question is should i get the premium/pro or the elite? I want to download demos and xbox live arcade games. Will the 20gig be enough or should i get the elite? I personally don't want to spend money on the elite if i don't need the extra space.
Well, it is a lot of extra space (100GB). But the 20gb is enough to store any demo they will bring out, and arcade games are only 250mb MAX. However, if you'll be downloading a LOT you might want the bigger one to save you ahving to delete stuff every so often.

Then again, if you begin to run out of space, you can always just buy the larger harddrive separaretely later on.

Oh, and if you get a brand new one, (ie, one made in the last few months) they should all have HDMI connections, regardless what model it is.

syedsaid

Reaction score
Thanks "unpixelatedgamers" for breaking down my questions and answering each part. :p I appreciate it. Didn't know about the 250mb max on the arcade downloads.

And thanks to everyone for helping me. I've decided to get my Xbox 360 on this weekend and with everyone's advice i decided to get the premium/pro. Can't wait to play halo3.

Once again, thanks everyone for your advices.

Last edited:

zeroex

Reaction score
Get the premium. The only diff now between tat and elite is the color and 100gig. U can change ur harddisk anytime, or if u ran out of space, just del away stuff cos u can re-download anytime and there's a handy list of stuff u download so u dun even have to remember that.