Net Neutrallity

webster567

Reaction score
So, many people haven't heard of Net Neutrality, more people should know about it, since it effects everyone who is using the net. Here is an excerpt explaining Net Neutrality.

"Put simply, Net Neutrality means no discrimination. Net Neutrality prevents Internet providers from speeding up or slowing down Web content based on its source, ownership or destination.
Net Neutrality is the reason why the Internet has driven economic innovation, democratic participation, and free speech online. It protects the consumer's right to use any equipment, content, application or service on a non-discriminatory basis without interference from the network provider. With Net Neutrality, the network's only job is to move data -- not choose which data to privilege with higher quality service."

I seem to have a problem with that and you would to, this is not yet a problem in America, but Virgin Media is already staring to limit access.

http://www.savetheinternet.com

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Virgin Media has been all talks about that for a while, but yeah, I heard about them doing things like that. I guess other UK ISPs are going be following in as well due to some law or something. I don't know. Here in the US, I know a few ISPs that cap and throttle things like BitTorrent, but other than that, that's all though Net Neutrality has become under fire all the time and so far it's winning in the US. Right now, all of the ISPs in my area follow Net Neutrality, but should my ISP start restricting access to things or making me pay higher to do what I do, especially gaming or hosting servers, then I'd obviously find another ISP.

Otherwise, me and my friends are already aware of net neutrality. Though here's a commercial that some US group had made that is completely false.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oPIYxtjLFeI

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Err I believe the majority of people know about net neutrality (if they are net savvy, at least). I imagine this will be a likely result from internet services that provide bandwidth caps.. time to hope that Verizon lays some fiberoptic lines in my neighborhood!

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I have Verizon here as well, and they've stated that they are not going to be capping or anything, which means they're going for the kill if they stay like that (and I'll be staying with them as well). FiOS isn't here yet, so I'm tearing at a 7.1Mbps DSL line for the time being, but besides them killing a majority of their newsgroups, they are at least boosting speeds. But seriously, if Verizon does manage to be the only large company that stays uncapped and unthrottled, imagine how much sales they could make.

Spartan Erik, who's your ISP anyways? If you already have Verizon DSL or are in Verizon terretory, good chance you should have it sometime soon. If you're in AT&T/Qwest/Frontier/etc land, don't expect Verizon to overbuild in your area if anything for a long time.

Last edited:

mcklovin

Reaction score
Fiber optic cable that's the dream. I've used a fiber optic hook up in the past before and wow substantial difference. It's to bad they don't have it in the city.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Spartan Erik, who's your ISP anyways? If you already have Verizon DSL or are in Verizon terretory, good chance you should have it sometime soon. If you're in AT&T/Qwest/Frontier/etc land, don't expect Verizon to overbuild in your area if anything for a long time.

I currently have 3 Mbps ADSL from ATT/SBC

Yeah I don't anticipate Verizon's arrival anytime soon.. but the sooner the better, that is if ATT implements bandwidth caps

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Seems like it's a good thing I already have FiOS:)!

Downside for some people is you keep the same IP forever because it's bound to your account, you can call up and request a new one though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
so... how do we keep net neutrality?? we need to keep the internet free (as in liberty), nondiscriminating, and non censored. it will greatly fuel the revolution. any ideas?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Fiber optic cable that's the dream. I've used a fiber optic hook up in the past before and wow substantial difference. It's to bad they don't have it in the city.
Verizon is actually working right now to wire up New York City for FiOS. It's a tough job, but they've been really hammering at Manhattan and Brooklyn the last I checked. They have a Franchise there now, so Time Warner's a bit screwed right now lol.

so... how do we keep net neutrality?? we need to keep the internet free (as in liberty), nondiscriminating, and non censored. it will greatly fuel the revolution. any ideas?

Well, right now there is a Net Neutrality bill in place that orders ISPs to not restrict content access, but I don't know the status of that really. I think it was voted for the bill again recently, but I believe all you really can do is ask your congress representatives to vote for Net Neutrality.