Network design - need help !

ked

Reaction score
hi all,

I need to do a network design as a homework for one of my courses, but I don't much about it...So I thought maybe the lovely x10hosting community could help me ? :innocent:

Here's the thing :

Design a network for a small customer that has a 5 floor business. Each floor has 75 workstations that need to be connected via Gigabit Ethernet. All floors terminate with multiple fibre runs back to a data centre on the first floor. The data centre houses 30 high end servers that must be dual attached to the network.
The design must be based on a Nortel solution using Stackable Ethernet Routing Switches and Chassis based Ethernet Routing Switches.
Nortel's Ethernet Routing Switches

Things you should consider in your design are:
· How would you interconnect all floors back to the computer room?
· How would you handle multiple departments per floor, say 3 departments per floor?
· Where would you use VLANS, where would you use routing and why?
· How many subnets would you recommend?
· Should the servers be L2 or L3 connected? Why?
· How would you connect the customer to the Internet and keep it secure?
· Cost is not an issue and the design must provide no single point of failure for the wiring closets and the core. Users may be single attached.

That is chinese to me :blink:

I think I will be able to choose the switches by comparing their features, but I really need help with the design itself. If you could give me some tips and answer some of the questions, I will be thankful and I will :hug: you strong :grin:

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
LOL thats a pretty good question...what course are you taking ????

ked

Reaction score
It's a course about networking, part of my Bachelor of Science program (Electrical Engineering).

So...any clues, anyone ? :sad: