Network

walidno1

Reaction score
I have a laptop in which Windows xp is installed and a PC with Windows 7........... I want to network them. I could network the 2 PCs when they both had windoes xp (using a single cable) and played many multiplayer games but now, I don't know how to do it. Any one have any idea?

sedesign

Reaction score
Have the tried running the network connection wizard?

i know that if you run it in XP, at the end of the wizard it'll ask if you want to create a file which can be loaded onto other computers and run to set up its connection to the network, this might help you.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you talking about something along the line of Internet Connection Sharing or file sharing? It'd help if we knew this info as it'd be easier to narrow down the subject. I consider "networking" to be of multiple definitions.

walidno1

Reaction score
OOOppppps..................File sharing....I want to play multiplayer games by connecting the two computers....... :p

well, any help?? I tried googling all terms possible but to no avail.........u guys are my last hope......

PS: got 2 days holiday from Med School..........this is probably the only time I can play.....need a response quick.... :)

steronius

Reaction score
in short,
plug both into a switch, hub, or router. make certain they use the same IP scheme. Make sure your firewalls dont block game traffic.

if you dont have a switch, hub or router, you need a cross-link ethernet cable for direct connection.

when not using a router, you need to either manually set your IP or have a DHCP server.

Last edited:

walidno1

Reaction score
DID EVERYTHING...........As I said, I had Networked the same two computers before and played games.

PS: I turned off the firewall totally........The problem is, when I ping with the laptop (win xp), it gives "request timed out" and when I ping from my pc (win 7), it says "Destination host unreachable".... I use Norton Firewall in win 7 PC and windows firewall in windows xp laptop............

Oh and if you can Network it then please give me a step by step instruction so that I replicate what u do (although slight possibility, but I might be doing smth wrong.....)

Thanx again..........I checked the net for hours yesterday but couldn't find a solution...........dunno.......HELP ME PLZ!! Thanx

dutzu93

Reaction score
You need to give the local network security permissions to make the connections. You need to add the local network to security. For example, if you wanna share a partition you need first to go to properties and at the security tab you need to add the local network and set the permissions.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Is the network in Windows 7 set to Public or Private? The Private setting lifts some security restrictions enforced on the Public setting.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Post up the full IP settings which both PCs are using including it's Local IP address, Gateway, and Subnet.

The last I checked the Location settings only matter if Windows Firewall is on...

wongers

Reaction score
what i dont understand is if you say you've had it working before with them both on XP, how can your XP machine now not connect? lol

walidno1

Reaction score
well, before now, both PCs had xp.........so, what I used to do is, set one PC's IP as client and another as host... (smth like 192.168.0.1 for one and 192.168.0.2 for the other)......then I wud run the "set up network" wizard......there I would set both both the network as MSHOME. and viola, restart the pc and its gonna work fine..........

now, in Windows7, the network wizard isn't there and if I try to run XP's network wizard from setup CD, it gives an error...........I had set the network as "Home Network" so all the restrictions shud be gone.. But for some reason its not working.......

I will try using Topology software today...will update if it works.
Edit:
oh and the firewall has been disabled............

Last edited:

wongers

Reaction score
wait, so your not going through a router? your just making a home network from a hub and 2 machines?

walidno1

Reaction score
I am using ethernet LAN card and crossover wire (one PC directly connecting to another PC via LAN card)