New Gaming Rig

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
Alright, so it has been about 2 1/2 years since I've built my current computer. I generally replace my computer every 2 years, so this is pretty overdue. However, during that time I managed to rake up a bit more cash for my rig.

Specs:
Core i7 920(Probably going to overclock this)
EVGA GTX 480
ASUS P6X58D Premium Intel X58
Corsair HX1000W 1000W Modular Power Supply
OCZ Vertex Series 30GB MLC Internal Solid State Drive for OS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 32MB Cache SATA-3G for other data
Corsair Dominator 6144MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz (3x2GB)
Lite ON 24X DVDRW SATA w/Lightscribe
Possibly a Cooler Master HAF 932

Liquid cooling will be added for the GTX 480 and Core i7 920 when I get some more cash.

This costs me a total of about $1800 at the moment with tax and shipping. I'll be posting pictures of the building process when I receive all of my parts.

krofunk

Reaction score
are you going for a flashy case or a slightly more discreet option?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice setup there. As for the liquid cooling system, I'm going to be installing it into my system in the next coming month or two. I have enough cash sitting around to get a heavy duty system set up on my case. Just need to get it cooling 3 video cards and an i7, then we're in business.

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
are you going for a flashy case or a slightly more discreet option?
A little bit of both. :p If a case has the air flow of the HAF and the design of the Cosmos, then I would get it. I was actually thinking about buying a Cosmos S(still thinking about it). What do you recommend?

Nice setup there. As for the liquid cooling system, I'm going to be installing it into my system in the next coming month or two. I have enough cash sitting around to get a heavy duty system set up on my case. Just need to get it cooling 3 video cards and an i7, then we're in business.
Nice! I've actually decided to take liquid cooling out of my plans. I find it too much of a hassle in the long run. I'm going to be giving this computer to a family member in 3 years when I'm done with it, so I don't want them to have to fuss over maintaining the cooling system. I'm going to go with a very high end air cooler for my CPU instead.

krofunk

Reaction score
Thinking about it, I think the Cosmos Is actually a pretty good choice.

1) REALLY easy to work with + lots of space
2) Looks like a performace case minus all the ribbions

images

I always think it's a bad idea to build a gaming rig that you

1) can't sell once its "over the hill" because it's to flashy for the average user.
2) looks like an average work station

..The problem is finding the happy medium

If you wanted a "little bit" more of a gaming PC look you might want to think about the VA8003BWS made by Thermaltake <- I have heard good things :)

images
images

The cooling in this case is pretty good as standard see -> here <-

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
I've decided to buy a HAF 932. It has great airflow and awesome cable management. I'm not planning to sell this computer anytime soon and the next owner will be a member of my family. My family doesn't really care much about looks as long as the computer doesn't pop on them. In addition to that, both the Cosmos S and the Thermal take are not available at my local retailer(so sad). Thanks for your recommendations, though.

krofunk

Reaction score
The Haf 932 is a good looking tower, you made a good choice ;) and no problem. I don't know where you live but if you are in the UK dabs (clicky) is a great place for all your computer needs, they also stock both of the cases mentioned :)

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
I live in the US, so I use TigerDirect, Newegg, and usually Micro Center. The big drawback for me for online stores is usually the expensive shipping that they charge for the case. I usually just buy the case from Micro Center or (rarely)Fry's. I've received most of my parts from TigerDirect. The only things missing are the graphics card and the case. The graphics card should be arriving on Monday, so I'm going to go pick up my case on Monday as well. I have a 5% off coupon available for use on Monday too. :D I'm going to try to find a Noctua NH-D14 for the CPU.

Do you think I really need a sound card? Would the P6X58D's onboard sound suffice?

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I live in the US, so I use TigerDirect, Newegg, and usually Micro Center. The big drawback for me for online stores is usually the expensive shipping that they charge for the case. I usually just buy the case from Micro Center or (rarely)Fry's. I've received most of my parts from TigerDirect. The only things missing are the graphics card and the case. The graphics card should be arriving on Monday, so I'm going to go pick up my case on Monday as well. I have a 5% off coupon available for use on Monday too. :D I'm going to try to find a Noctua NH-D14 for the CPU.

Do you think I really need a sound card? Would the P6X58D's onboard sound suffice?

For almost ever use On-board audio suffices. Many of the ones that you can get these days will play 5.1/7.1 audio at 24-bits and higher with 192000Hz Sampling Rate. I use on-board audio with my rig with no issues via Optical out. Sounds great too. That, plus the video cards on my system with the TV tuner are taking up ports. Why waste another port on a sound card?

krofunk

Reaction score
I agree with smith6612, I use a sound card purely because my on-board died :( I lost the audio ports on the front because of that (alot of pci based cards don't seem to support front audio jacks)

admael

Reaction score
A lot of people can't tell the difference between on-board sound and a dedicated sound card.

The real question is whether or not you have a nice set of speakers to go with the card.

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
I have a 5.1 Logitech setup. I actually bought a Creative card, but I returned it 2 days after. :p My GTX 480 comes tomorrow! :D

wingerz

Reaction score
Alright, so it has been about 2 1/2 years since I've built my current computer. I generally replace my computer every 2 years, so this is pretty overdue. However, during that time I managed to rake up a bit more cash for my rig.

Specs:
Core i7 920(Probably going to overclock this)
EVGA GTX 480
ASUS P6X58D Premium Intel X58
Corsair HX1000W 1000W Modular Power Supply
OCZ Vertex Series 30GB MLC Internal Solid State Drive for OS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 32MB Cache SATA-3G for other data
Corsair Dominator 6144MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz (3x2GB)
Lite ON 24X DVDRW SATA w/Lightscribe
Possibly a Cooler Master HAF 932

Liquid cooling will be added for the GTX 480 and Core i7 920 when I get some more cash.

This costs me a total of about $1800 at the moment with tax and shipping. I'll be posting pictures of the building process when I receive all of my parts.

The only things I would possibley reconsider for this rig is the need for a Solid State hard drive. Personally I think they are "over kill" and not generally needed for the average computing needs.

Also, I'd probably go with a smaller watt power supply too. Unless you intend to SLI your GFX card then again, I'd consider it to be "over kill".

Just something to thing to think about, other then that, fantastic system, you'll have loads of fun with it :)

krofunk

Reaction score
as far as power supplies go I think bigger is better, after all the board will only draw what it needs and so isn't any less efficient than a smaller supply. My rig for example "can" run on a 350W but it has a 500W in it...anyway my point is that if you have a larger supply it gives you the potential for upgrades (better graphics etc) at a later date.

and solid states just make for a very snappy OS, the classic example of this is the boot time of an EeePC 701

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
@Grandcruiser
I wish I had pockets as deep as yours. lol

Have fun melting ice bergs with that GTX 480, you'll probably be able to turn off your central heating. :p
Definitely a good choice with the HAF, you'll need that airflow.

Last edited:

monkeymhz

Reaction score
What else can I say but it looks like one hell of a solid rig, and 1800$ bucks aint to bad. Enjoy it!, just make sure you do a solid job on that liquid cooling. Dont want any accidents.

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
What else can I say but it looks like one hell of a solid rig, and 1800$ bucks aint to bad. Enjoy it!, just make sure you do a solid job on that liquid cooling. Dont want any accidents.
I've been having an awesome time with it so far, but I think the CPUs defective. It only shows up as 2 cores instead of 4 which is a huge problem. :/ Also, I've said before that I was going to remove the liquid cooling since it was going to take some time to maintain it. I don't want my family members to worry about maintaining their computer when I pass it on.

The only things I would possibley reconsider for this rig is the need for a Solid State hard drive. Personally I think they are "over kill" and not generally needed for the average computing needs.

Also, I'd probably go with a smaller watt power supply too. Unless you intend to SLI your GFX card then again, I'd consider it to be "over kill".

Just something to thing to think about, other then that, fantastic system, you'll have loads of fun with it :)
It's way too late to reconsidering anything, but I don't regret anything. My SSD helps my system fully load with AIM and MSN without a single delay. As for the power supply, I want to make it so I have room to grow. I don't know if I'll ever get a surge of cash for a second GTX 480, but you never know!

@Grandcruiser
I wish I had pockets as deep as yours. lol

Have fun melting ice bergs with that GTX 480, you'll probably be able to turn off your central heating. :p
Definitely a good choice with the HAF, you'll need that airflow.
Well if you wait for deals, this build would probably only cost about $1,600. I've tried putting my hand behind my GTX 480 and I could actually feel my skin getting quite dry. :p The air coming of my case's exhaust fan is cooler than the GTX 480's exhaust.

as far as power supplies go I think bigger is better, after all the board will only draw what it needs and so isn't any less efficient than a smaller supply. My rig for example "can" run on a 350W but it has a 500W in it...anyway my point is that if you have a larger supply it gives you the potential for upgrades (better graphics etc) at a later date.

and solid states just make for a very snappy OS, the classic example of this is the boot time of an EeePC 701
I totally agree. :)

wongers

Reaction score
i just dont see the need for SSD yet, i mean yeah its cool watching windows boot from pressing the button to loading the start menu in 6 seconds and all, but its more a novelty effect at this point as SSD is too expensive to be used effectively.

cant think of more then a handful of applications that would seriously benefit from the performance boost.

oh and @Grandcruiser, you have 1000w cause you want room to grow? your not going to get near 800w unless your planning on SLIing your gfx lol

krofunk

Reaction score
I totally agree. :)
Good Good
happy.png
unfortunately as others have said in this forum using new technologies can have its problems-and sometimes not be worth it..BUT and its a big but, if people didn't buy these things in the early stages, the development of the technology would have most certainly stopped (and at the end of the day ssd is actually better
wtf.png
)

Last edited: