New photo gallery site

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefly

Reaction score
Hi All !

Just put up my newly completed photo gallery site : see below.

Caution: don't visit if your connection is s-l-o-w and you are impatient coz most images are full-screen and may load slowly. But once loaded the images should slide smoothly...

Appreciate feedback on any errors, problems, etc with the site and kindly give yr critique for improvements to be made..

TIA !! :happysad::happysad::happysad:http://pixelmagic.x10hosting.com/index.php

Last edited:

Westcoast-Games

Reaction score
Congratz on the photo gallery bluefly!

You certainly weren't wrong about the load times ...fortunately today I'm in a patient customer :eek4:

Looks nice, although I could not stop the slideshow, there was a pause / play button but that did nothing, was that suppose to pause the slideshow?

Best usability improvement would be to simply improve the load times, maybe have a landing page showing the available slideshows. This would tell the user that they've sucessfully hit your site, then they may be more willing / accepting of load time when they choose to view the slideshow.

Personally I would keep all the image the same dimensions (some cropping / scaling), would provide a smoother transition between the pics.

OpenSource: The Graphic Image Manipulation Program [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.gimp.org[/FONT]

bluefly

Reaction score
Thanks 4 great feedback, Westcoast-Games!:thefinger

The "square" box is the stop / pause button - just try the buttons and see what happens.. there's also a music button.

Will certainly consider yr suggestions. Thank you!

RRJJMM

Reaction score
Hi:

The photos are great and the slideshow functions well enough. I agree with others that a home page with a list of galleries and more information would be nice. It is disorienting to jump into a site that is at first, just a big slideshow.

I had some problems with the function of the menu. Depending upon how I scrolled the page, when I hoovered the curser over a menu item, the list of submenus would appear in different locations. Unfortunately, the submenu would then disappear when I tried to move the cursor from the menu item (like Portfolios) to the list of submenu selections. I am using the Opera browser and don't know if this bug is unique to this browser or not.

Good Luck with the site,

bluefly

Reaction score
Hi RRJJMM !

Many thanks 4 yr feedback ! Love yr comments, er.. the issue with the animated menu is due to some coding issues: sometimes i get that "slippage" in menu positioning, but sometimes it works fine.. happens only in ie but not in firefox...hmmm, still trying to find out if that is an i.e. browser quirk mode.. possibly occur when resolution is set too low? will experiment more...

Best to view site at 1280x900 resolution:happysad: -- any lower resolution will need you to use scroll bars, who likes that?:dunno:

..hmmm, most photo galleries start with landing page and static menu, which i thought is excellent for non-photo sites. however, as i get bored easily with too many "static" photos, and as many use the same static approach, thought i should take a new direction...

since photos are static anyway, i try movement with photo sizes, seems disconcerting to some of you? ok, noted, perhaps will add panning and zooming in future...

anyway, great feedback, thanks !!

===

UH_OH...don't seem able to load the site in either firefox or internet explorer... is my site under administrator review for content? if so, then will check back after 72 hrs... isn't it?

===

HEY, that was f-a-s-t, now i can load site and site was not loadable for only about 15 min !! thanks !!

Last edited:

bluefly

Reaction score
Re: New photo gallery site - ok now ??

OK, now I hv redone the site, and put up a landing page as suggested. hope things are less confusing now.
Edit:
Oh, it is still a work-in-progress, so not all the menu items are working fully... only the portfolio on 'people' and 'places' are linked. The others are simply place-holders.

Loading speed is much better with pre-loading of images implemented.

C&C appreciated.

Last edited:

digitalimages

Reaction score
One suggestion is to make sure all images are the same size so that the windows don't move around. It's best to group all "portrait" format images together and all "landscape" images together to avoid the changing window size....just makes a more streamlined and smoother flow.
You music "mute" button is obscure and difficult to find....maybe a text label would help.
I found that once I got the slidshow started I could not stop it.....
good portraits though...
Check out my site and give me "your" comments.... http://digitalimages.x10hosting.com/

bluefly

Reaction score
One suggestion is to make sure all images are the same size so that the windows don't move around. It's best to group all "portrait" format images together and all "landscape" images together to avoid the changing window size....just makes a more streamlined and smoother flow.
You music "mute" button is obscure and difficult to find....maybe a text label would help.
I found that once I got the slidshow started I could not stop it.....
good portraits though...
Check out my site and give me "your" comments.... http://digitalimages.x10hosting.com/

Thank you for your comments. You got constructive comments.

Yes, opinions are divided on the "moving" window. *grin*

Some hate the movement coz it made them giddy.. Others find it "different" (read: less boring) after seeing many photo galleries on the web, which are more or less the same.

This site is a test bed. The site is less of a photo gallery per se and more an experiment to test the gallery design, layout and concept. So your comments and feedback are much valued.

As per the music button...hmmm.. probably a color change may make that more obvious... but the idea and web design trend is to let the user "look around.." make things less obvious. Hence, for instance, the home page "link" is actually the image logo, and no formal link is shown or "announced" for the Home page.

The stop / start button for the slideshow is the "square" box icon at the top left corner ... again, idea is to let user find out for himself / herself.:drool: Maybe as a concession will put in a "pop-up" button message attached to the mouse... you know, for those less savvy with the web.

As regard your site, I think your macro photos are wonderful ! However, I think you should have a better gallery to showcase your obvious photographic talents, one that gives full-screen images, seemless loading of images, and be selective -- idea is to give less rather than more, so the visitor will come back for more. Some of the more avant-garde ideas come from this guy and you may wish to implement some of his ideas.

Thanks once again for your feedback !!

Edit:

My apologies -- I meant this link by Stu Nicholls who is the author and owner of CSSPlay, an innovative and leading-edge site on using css only for photo galleries, no javascripts or flash.

He has many other wonderful galleries at the demo site, in case you are looking for ideas on your own photo-gallery. Check him out !

===

I am also investigating reports of the dyfunctional slideshow button on my site... said button sometimes work on my pc when I accessed the webhost. Still trying to locate source of problem...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback !!

Gallery

http://pixelmagic.x10hosting.com/

Last edited:

bluefly

Reaction score
Apologies to wengalaxy, the site revamp caused some conflicts, particularly affecting the mysql files. Will sort out soon.

Cheers.

bluefly

Reaction score
OK, my site has been up and running quite smoothly now.

I also managed to test out the 'password locked directory' feature.

Initially had some problems to get the feature to work for the pricing menu.

Finally resolved the problem, so now my website is ok.

Please let me know if you experience any more issues with the site.

If there are no more issues I will probably close this thread.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to those who gave suggestions, comments !

Rgds
Bluefly

http://pixelmagic.x10hosting.com

JuniorD

Reaction score
Eh, pretty good. Simple. One complaint (sorry, I'm obsessive) is that I can scroll down about a millimeter and make the images jiggle. I just seem to do that and it distracts me from the page. XD.

Anyways, good one, 8/10 (Harsh rating)

bluefly

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know what to do if there's no more need for review of my site?

Do I close the thread? How do I do that?

OR just leave the site alone and let it sink into oblivion? What do you guys do?

Cheers

http://pixelmagic.x10hosting.com

zen-r

Reaction score
Either option will do!

Chances are a mod will find it & close it for you. I'll make it easier for them to spot your request :) ;

Please close this thread. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.