New To PERL

_Xero_

Reaction score
Can someone help me with PERL, I have no idea where to start.

Torch

Reaction score
There has already been similar thread to this.
Anyway, here is my post from it.
Hope you find it useful :)

_Xero_

Reaction score
lol i looked at that already, it was a bit useful. thats how i learn as well.
btw i installed those two things on my computer, the apache thing or w/e and the perl. how do i work with these things?

Torch

Reaction score
_Xero_ said:
how do i work with these things?
That is a very big question, so I'm just gonna sum it up to what you would need most/currently.

To start XAMPP, e.g. the server on your machine, open it's control panel (you probably have the icon on your desktop after the installation). There you can choose which services to start. Apache only will probably suffice, but you can turn MySql too is the scripts you'll be working with use database.
After that you can put your CGI/PERL scripts in cgi-bin folder (the default path if you're using Windows would be c:\apachefriends\xampp\cgi-bin). Only thing that is left now is run the scripts by opening your browser and going to http://localhost/cgi-bin/yourscript.pl/.cgi

_Xero_

Reaction score
lol one problem, the services wont start. i try to enable them, but it keeps saying "Could not start Apache2 service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access Denied.

Apache doesn't seem to want to start, everything else does.

Last edited:

_Xero_

Reaction score
ah nvm:p i checked their site and i checked my ports and port 80 is in use by my popup blocker

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
localhost
07/31/06 21:59:10
Apache/2.2.2 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.2 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.1.4

im trying to access localhost/xampp/cgi-bin from my brower and it says that

Last edited:

_Xero_

Reaction score
lol gives me the same error
im getting scared, wtfi s going on!:p

Torch

Reaction score
Heh, slow down a bit... No need to panic :p

Did you try directly accessing your scipt e.g.: http://localhost/cgi-bin/script.cgi or .pl
Also did you put your scipts in right folder (c:\apachefriends\xampp\cgi-bin by default on windows)?

_Xero_

Reaction score
nope, i installed it to C:\Program Files\
so what would i do then?

Torch

Reaction score
Well than find where you installed it, find the cgi-bin folder, and put your scripts in there.

_Xero_

Reaction score
i found it, and there are 3 scripts in there already, and i tried accessing just the folder, and then a script, and object not found again.

plus the smtp thing is deactivated, w/e that is:p but everything else is activated

and i cant access any other folder through the browser

Last edited:

Torch

Reaction score
If you haven't deleted those 3 scripts yet, try going to here: http://localhost/cgi-bin/perltest.cgi or to http://localhost/cgi-bin/printenv.pl
If it shows you something like "CGI with MiniPerl is ready ..." or prints out your system specs, than it meants that your server is runnning fine.

If it gives you error, than it means that you didn't started Apache correctly. Try going go XAMPP control panel and see if Apache is running. If not, try to start it and than try going to those addresses again. If it doesn't want to start, than it means that you didn't installed server correctly in which case you have to completely remove XAMPP (when you uninstall it also remove it's folder completely), restart your computer than disable ALL unnececary running background processes and try installing it again.
Also, no matter what the case is, make sure that (if you have it) IIS is completely disabled. To do so, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services look for IIS, right-click on the service than Properties and on the new window change Startup type to Disabled.

_Xero_

Reaction score
oh okay, it seems to be working now. not sure what the problem was. maybe i was supposed to restart the computer or something after installation.

thanx a lot

Last edited: