New to PHP, Point in the right direction?

niebr_9034

Reaction score
Alright. So I have a site on here, i have no problem editing HTML, CSS, and such, my main problem is that PHP looks like gibberish to me, I was able to learn HTML and CSS myself, yet PHP is just a whole nother area altogether.

What I pretty much need is a PHP tutorial for a total beginner, Everything I search for does not break down the terms of anything far enough for me to understand.

I have tried W3Schools, reading through that.

Google is just a mess for this type of thing.

So I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction, or tell me if what I am trying to do is over my own head.

I would like for users to be able to
Register on the website with their own login credentials (not through X10)
Able to login/Logout.

While giving me the ability to
Grant/Restrict viewable pages based on whether or not a person is a member/Guest
View member Info (such a username, Picture if desired) to create a type of memebrs list, so other memebrs can find certain members, (but i can do that in HTML so it is not needed. but the storing of some information would be great help)

Basically what I am trying to do is this,

Create a 360 clan website that only the clan members can view. (Those who register)

Able to find other members within the site, so they dont have to actually add the clan members as friends on Xbox Live, (Less clutter within XBL friends list since its limited to 100)

Stats maybe? What map packs the members have, and what levels they have made it to, with so many people.

Now stats such as the map packs and level, and possibly pictures I can edit in myself, but I would like to at least the member register with these credentials

First Name:
Email:
Password:
Confirm Password:
Xbox Live Gamertag:

Then being able to login with just their email.

And anyone who is not a member, cannot view anything but the home page.

I knwo i bounced all over the place with this, hope it makes sense, ill revise as i think of ways to make this post more neat.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're new to programming, you should be doing this yourself only as a learning exercise and not for a production site. Otherwise you'll find yourself making mistakes fatal to your site. A recent post provides an example of this. Instead, find a BBS or content management system (CMS) that best meets your requirements and site design. This will also get your site up and running much faster. You can find both BBSs and CMSs that support accounts. If you can't find one that meets every single need, pick one that best meets them and write plugins for whatever is missing.

W3Schools is outdated, inaccurate and incomplete. For better recommendations, see:

Last edited:

niebr_9034

Reaction score
Awesome thank you,

I kinda am doing this as a learning experience, I mean the site isnt a major thing its just a clan site for xbox,

I would like to learn this so I can write it professionally, but I see i got a long way to go, now you were tlaking about BBS and CMS, if that something that x10 does ?>

ice.adi49

Reaction score
If you don't have any programming experience then it will take a while to learn php, but through continuous practice it will become quite easy in a fairly short amount of time (a few weeks will suffice to get a good understanding on the basics of php, the rest comes along, as you develop new applications).
Best way of learning for me so far is by example.
Theory followed by examples which shows me exactly what i'm doing.
Something like: this is what you input -> this is the result you get.
If i see too much theory i tend to run away, because for me is more intuitive to know what i'm doing rather than "supposing to know". So, if you're like me in this matter, then i'd suggest you search a php by example. Probably this site will suit you well, since it covers all basic areas of php: php-learn-it.com
first navigate in it through the left menu (below Resources ), since that's the actual part for beginners.