garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Wow, sounds great!

Nice rant, by the way, you've got my support :biggrin:

mukuld

Reaction score
you are doing a great job providing us with free hosting. my account was suspended but from yesterday everything is all riight. my website is working fine...

the blog will be fine addition. i am looking forward to other upgrades too. keep it up guys.

fguy64

Reaction score
Just because you have some linux or system admin experience does not give you insight on how x10 runs. Unless you are part of the admin team you have no idea how the backend works or what is involved in moving just a single account between servers. It's not just copying files.

if you're not one of us, you have no idea what you're talking about. uh huh.

I've stated this before and I'll say it again, honestly if you have such an issue with our free hosting you're welcome to leave or upgrade to paid hosting where these issues don't exist.

if you don't like it, lump it. Kind of makes me wonder why x10 bothers with free hosting in the first place. It's a marketing ploy of course. Anyways, good luck, I'm sure you're trying.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Seems like a pretty bad marketing ploy :biggrin:

I'd hate to see how the books look at the end of the month for free hosting with the new servers, support calls to CPanel and R1Soft, datacenter rental, 800 number, advertising, and VBulletin. I really wonder how any free host stays in business. I mean, if geocities went down, how is it even possible?

Well, just my two cents. Life's pretty good on paid, so I guess I couldn't possibly complain ;)

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
if you're not one of us, you have no idea what you're talking about. uh huh.

if you don't like it, lump it. Kind of makes me wonder why x10 bothers with free hosting in the first place. It's a marketing ploy of course. Anyways, good luck, I'm sure you're trying.

I've had enough of your attitude, I think you missed the part of my post that says leave if you don't like it. If you continue to be rude you'll be banned.

-Corey

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like a pretty bad marketing ploy :biggrin:

I'd hate to see how the books look at the end of the month for free hosting with the new servers, support calls to CPanel and R1Soft, datacenter rental, 800 number, advertising, and VBulletin. I really wonder how any free host stays in business. I mean, if geocities went down, how is it even possible?

Well, just my two cents. Life's pretty good on paid, so I guess I couldn't possibly complain ;)

Agreed, specially on the last part.

But from what I gathered in the PAST, free was barely breaking even with the ads. Paid I imagine is not only supporting itself, but with plenty extra - assuming a server costs $200, it'd take 29 accounts to earn 1.55 over the server costs.

Dunno even what it'd take if ads were on EVERY users account, but there's 30,000 (according to Corey's news post), and most ad services seem to take quite a few views jsut to get to $0.10, and I have some doubts all 30,000 accounts would generate even that in a month.

Edit: Clarification, for paid by plenty extra I mean more than enough to cover the server and make it worthwhile to put the effort in on x10's part.

Last edited:

dudecat

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I wasn't going to post but the negative post was uncalled for and doesn't add anything of value. So here's my 2 cents.

I picked x10hosting free hosting for many reasons - the years in existence, the software languages (my development background is mostly with Microsoft products), the web space allotment, the top rating from http://www.free-webhosts.com/webhosting-01.php, no ads are required, etc..

I am looking forward to the proposed changes such as the resource usage stats which will be very helpful and the improvement in navigation and flow of information on the site.

It seems like there are a lot of great changes coming and I think it is great that you are willing to listen to and implement members suggestions (thread Re: Latest update news thread response: 6/22/09 asking people to read the news section before submitting a ticket, thread Suggestions for a more effective forum).

jmcgowan

Reaction score
Thank you for the update, and thank you to all the admins for all the hard work that's been put in to this service. To be honest, I joined recently enough that my site's been broken longer than it's been fixed, and I'm still impressed with the service here, because I can see from the forums just how much work is going on behind the scenes. If / when I make the move to paid hosting, I'm sure I'll be impressed there as well.

kryptofire

Reaction score
Wow! There are really accounts that were lost huh... So that why LadyAnna's reply to me that she cant find a hosting account linked to my forum account.

I have already submitted a ticket regarding my account but according to Corey's post:
While we've been trying our best to get answers out of r1soft we have not been successful yet. As of right now it looks like we are not going to be able to recover these backups.

(T_T)

I hope backups can be restored soon. I still have the files I used for my site that can be uploaded again in case the backups cant be recovered (worse case scenario).

BTW
My site is http://318artconnection.co.cc . It just shows the apache is working on cpanel page.

Anyways, great job on making x10 the number 1 free hosting server out there!!!

eN0ch

Reaction score
As indicated before, I'm very grateful for the service I get for nothing. Having one's site down ranges between inconvenient and very frustrating, but that's life! No complaints from me ...

KUTGW

lenabrad

Reaction score
I have not been a member for very long, But I have found the service to be really great.

About the update. Currently my site is giving me the page load error. I can still get into my cpanel, do I have to change my nameservers if I'm using my own domain?

zen-r

Reaction score
I have not been a member for very long, But I have found the service to be really great.

About the update. Currently my site is giving me the page load error. I can still get into my cpanel, do I have to change my nameservers if I'm using my own domain?

Yes, you need to go to your domain registrars & set the DNS for ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com.

Please note though, that this thread isn't the support section! Also, if you need more details, you will find more comprehensive threads already available via Search, on how to set up your own domains. :)

minaspho

Reaction score
I'm sure this suggestion has already come up before, and perhaps I have missed this suggestion already in the works.

At any rate, why not try and get donations from the free hosting accounts.
Sure, there is an issue of fairness there, being that some people either can not or just wont pay into it. The fact here is that nothing is ever free, but it can be made free-er, so to say.

I say open up the donations, via credit card/paypal and let those who can and will donate money donate it. :)
Most generally, if you are a believer in open source you'll pay into X10's free hosting to keep it free. Granted this will NOT resolve all the issues x10 faces with free hosting, but it is a step in the direction of making things easier on all of us who use and/or manage it.

Bests regards, and thanks for all the hard work.
:)

zen-r

Reaction score
I'm sure this suggestion has already come up before, and perhaps I have missed this suggestion already in the works.

At any rate, why not try and get donations from the free hosting accounts.
Sure, there is an issue of fairness there, being that some people either can not or just wont pay into it. The fact here is that nothing is ever free, but it can be made free-er, so to say.

I say open up the donations, via credit card/paypal and let those who can and will donate money donate it. :)
Most generally, if you are a believer in open source you'll pay into X10's free hosting to keep it free. Granted this will NOT resolve all the issues x10 faces with free hosting, but it is a step in the direction of making things easier on all of us who use and/or manage it.

Bests regards, and thanks for all the hard work.
:)

Agreed. I've been thinking the same myself for a while now, but haven't got round to properly checking yet to see if there is already a provision for making donations (but I've never seen any, so far).

I'd suggest adding the option to donate credits as well. There are a lot of people here without access to online funds, & they might find this is the easiest way to offer a little-something back to x10. Not nearly as useful to x10 as real money, I know, but perhaps better than nothing.

Also, there are people like me who are gradually accumulating quite a few, so being able to donate some would have a double benefit to x10. Not only would x10 get some credits back, but it would also prevent me from being tempted to cash them in when I get to 25,000 - thus saving you from the loss of money! ;)

Perhaps x10 could add some sort of donations log in the UserCP, to help make members feel good about what they have donated so far!

auriclux

Reaction score
Somewhere Corey mentioned something like 'if only all the free's paid $1/mo ...'

Well, what would it take to have an intermediate service? Is this really a viable model?

Thanks for all your work Corey and all the ones I don't know about.