Nexus One

risket

Reaction score
So Google's Nexus One came out yesterday. It looks pretty amazing. What's everyone else think about it?

I've been wanting to get the Samsung Moment with Sprint for the past few months but now that this came out I think I've changed my mind.

The only problem right now is that the Nexus One is only available for GSM networks. Which means T-Mobile and (if you want it without 3G and really slow data) AT&T.

They are talking about releasing a CDMA version soon for Verizon which hopefully means it will also be available for Sprint.

If it becomes available to Sprint soon I'm definitely getting that.

Nothing beats Sprint's Everything Data plan. $69.99 a month for 450 minutes and all your data, messaging, turn-by-turn navigation, text, email.... is all unlimited. Plus now that they have the whole Any Mobile Any Time feature also included you can call any mobile phone regardless of what network they're on and you won't use your minutes. You minutes only count if you call a landline.... so if you only call mobile lines you basically have unlimited minutes.

You can see all the details about the Nexus One at Google.com/Phone. Take a look at the specks and watch the demos. I saw some really awesome demo videos of it in action on YouTube.

So what's everyone else think about it?
:biggrin:

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
I was really excited when news of it first came out, but now that the specs are out, it doesn't look that much nicer than a Droid for most everyday situations. I mean, the bigger processor is nice for media stuff, but how much difference will it really make for placing calls and a bit of surfing? (Or maybe I just don't really “get” this smartphone thing yet...)

--- Mr. DOS

risket

Reaction score
I was really excited when news of it first came out, but now that the specs are out, it doesn't look that much nicer than a Droid for most everyday situations. I mean, the bigger processor is nice for media stuff, but how much difference will it really make for placing calls and a bit of surfing? (Or maybe I just don't really “get” this smartphone thing yet...)

--- Mr. DOS

Well the processor is a HUGE improvement. It's almost twice the speed so loading web sites would be much faster.

I think the Droid's specs are ok but the phone itself is extremely ugly. It's just a big block with no design to it. I can imagine the corners digging into your palm from holding it. And it's keyboard layout is just terrible.

The thing I find interesting about the Droid is that it was such a big deal to Verizon and it was this big mystery. Then they unveiled a hideous looking phone and it's processor was already out-dated. The Samsung Moment (which is the phone I'm planning on getting soon) came out in November with an 800MHz processor. Why the Droid was so hyped up with only a 550MHz processor I have no idea. The Droid may have had the most up-to-date version of Android (2.0) but now the Nexus One was released with 2.1 and the Samsung Moment and HTC Hero will be getting their updates to 2.1 soon. So even though the Droid is newer than the Moment.... the Moment will be the superior device when it's updated AND has the faster processor.

I really like the look of the Nexus One. It's design looks like it would be very comfortable in your hand.

I don't care for the trackball. Honestly I think that is out-dated technology. I'd prefer the trackpad like on the Moment. Not even our computer mice use a ball anymore. They're all optical. So why put a ball on a phone? That just allows dust to get in and make the ball stick. So I was disappointed that the Nexus One came with a trackball. Other than that the phone looks very clean. I've watched some YouTube videos of it in action and it runs very smooth. It looked awesome.

risket

Reaction score
I have Nexus One, it`s very cool!

Lucky!!

I won't get it until it becomes available on Sprint's network so I can pair it with an Everything Data plan.

Anything about it you don't like so far?

When texting are there other input methods? I know there's the Qwerty but is there also like a Compact Qwerty and maybe a numeric keypad?