No confirmation emails on how to log into cpanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicia85

Reaction score
My account panel home says "your account is in good standing" It says it was created 11:00pm on Monday and yet I can't log into cpanel and I haven't received any emails or messages telling me how to do so. I have received no emails after the last one that provided me with the code. Is there a step I'm missing here?

alicia85

Reaction score
I'm so embarrassed, I had written down my username with a capital 'F' :nuts:
Thanks for your help, it all seems to be working now!

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I'm so embarrassed, I had written down my username with a capital 'F' :nuts:
Thanks for your help, it all seems to be working now!

lol it's fine, a lot of people do that. For some reason, cPanel usernames are case sensitive. o_O

Feel free to post back if you encounter any more issues.

alicia85

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should start a whole new thread for this, so......
Some of my text isn't showing up in a couple of my web pages, I think some of the images don't seem to be appearing either. All my images are stored in two folders, so I don't understand why they wouldn't be showing. I checked my site using my default browser when I had the files on my desktop and there weren't any problems with the text or images.

This is only my first time at both making a website and uploading it to a web host (college project) so I apologise if I seem extremely dense right now.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
1. If you practiced on a laptop, one "gotcha" is that Windows is case insensitive. ie Index.html is treated the same as index.html. The majority of web hosts are on *nix machines, which are case sensative. Not only file names, but folders. Also, having spaces in file or folder names is a bad idea.

2. It is usually a good idea to keep all your images in one folder.

3. If you post the url of the page in question, pehaps we can look at the html and help spot any problems. Do the images that aren't there look like
nosuchimage.png
?

4. Try pasting the url for a missing image in the address bar and see if the browser displays it. If you get a 404 error, then the url is wrong. If the image looks broken, then there was a problem uploading the image from your computer to x10.

Last edited:

alicia85

Reaction score
http://cooperneedlecrafts.x10hosting.com/Index.htm

I pasted this into my browser but it just says that it did not match any documemts.

I made sure there were no spaces in my file names.

When I follow the link to my website from the account panel I can see the images in my image folder that aren't displaying. If I can see them there, shouldn't they display in the web page? Not sure if that's relevant.
Edit:
I also noticed that there is code showing in my 'Contact Us' page. My entire website is is stuffed up. :(

Last edited:

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Try removing all the capitals from your files, putting all the images in one root folder (you can have sub-folders for different type of images) and re-uploading everything.

The 404 error I am getting at http://cooperneedlecrafts.x10hosting.com/Images_large/CN_items.jpg signifies that the requested file doesn't exists: either it is misspelled or it was not uploaded.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
http://cooperneedlecrafts.x10hosting.com/Images_large/

shows you your image file names. You can click on each and see them.

Go to cPanel, then FileManager, then select Index.html and click on Edit.

Control-F will bring up a seach box.

Look for 'img'. It will help you locate all your image tages.

Note that you have one for: Images_large/CN_items.jpg but if you look at your image directory, you will see that it is spelled cn_items.jpg

Also, at the top of the page...

<link rel="stylesheet" href="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Admin/Desktop/Cooper_Handcrafts/Stylesheet" type="text/css">

That is on your computer. You have to point it to an uploaded version on x10.

And as xav said, it is a lot less error prone if you use all lowercase for file/image names and extensions ( ie cute.jpg instead of Cute.JPG )

Last edited:

alicia85

Reaction score
Try removing all the capitals from your files, putting all the images in one root folder (you can have sub-folders for different type of images) and re-uploading everything.

The 404 error I am getting at http://cooperneedlecrafts.x10hosting.com/Images_large/CN_items.jpg signifies that the requested file doesn't exists: either it is misspelled or it was not uploaded.

I'll try what you and descalzo suggested, but if I could just clarify something here, when you say remove all capitals from my files, that means I'm going to have to edit all the code in my website. :/ Wish I knew this before I started.

That's another thing, when I'm in the cpanel file manager, I can't see my index file in in the public_html folder, even though I moved it there. I can only see my images folders.

I tried the search bar in the upper right, but it says 'no records found'

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, you could just edit the parts where the image file names are miscapitalized. I count only 5 or so images, but background images might be missing too.

But being consistent is the best way to avoid mistakes.

You can just open cPanel->FileManager and go to the images directory.
Click on a file and then 'Rename' button on the top tool bar, change the name to lower case.
Repeat.

Then search the written code for 'img' tags.

Must do:
Change Index.html to index.html
.... otherwise when people just put in http://cooperneedlecrafts.x10hosting.com/ , they get a listing of your directory. The webserver looks for index.html and if it does not find it, it shows the world your directory.

In each of your subfolders, put a blank page named index.html. Again, so the directory contents will not be shown. There is another way to do this, but this is the simplest.

Contact page ... the visible code is probably because of a missing < or extra quotation mark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.