No php/SMTP mail. Server - "Connection timed out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Dow

Reaction score
Excuse me if I start a new thread with a better title for this request for support although my problem with sending mail was first mentioned in another thread.

cPanel webmail Horde Fatal Error

The correct information is

username: peterdow+scot.exofire.net
host: mail.scot.exofire.net port: 25
Password: Password of email peterdow@scot.exofire.net

Nope it is not working with those values.
In case you haven't guessed I am testing out the SMTP mail function for my forum which is a phpBB2 modification. I don't input the port number which I presume must be stuck at 25.

When I try to send an email via the board it hangs for 30 seconds, then either
Sometimes - "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage" (what is it with that - are x10hosting servers heavily overloaded?)

or other times - "Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out"
The phpBB2 forum allows you to use either the php mail() function or its SMTP functions.
php mail() completes without an error message but no mail arrives because presumably it is not sent.
Using the SMTP option fails with an error message failed to connect to the SMTP outgoing mail server - host.
So I can't get my board emails sent either way :dunno:

FURTHER.
Using my same forum software, from another mirror, I can send SMTP mail using an independent SMTP service - unlimitedmail.org as it happens.
If I put in the SMTP details for the unlmitedmail.org mail server in my forum configuration running here on scot.exofire.net - I get the same failure to connect time out message.
So it looks like there is something wrong here.

MORE INFO
Looking at the SMTP code the call to the php fuinction fsockopen is failing with 110 being the error number returned and "Connection timed out" being the error message returned.

ANY IDEAS ANYONE???

HELP!!

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Staff can better explain you...

Escalated to staff.

***Click on colored bar above and go to your newly created ticket. Remember to Login with forums username and password to view your ticket***

Status
Not open for further replies.