Not New, but *serious?* question...

school2soccer56

Reaction score
HI!!
I've been using x10hosting for months, and I have a question that I never understood fully. I've read your TOS, but didn't get anything out of it. I dont ever plan on using proxies, but whenever I "creep" on the support thread, I find ALOT of people suspended for poxies. What does that mean? The only proxy i've ever used what to get on myspace (lol) back in middle school.
Can someone explain to me what using a proxy on x10hosting means? I'm really curious...

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a pretty definitive line but I can see the confusion.

In short, you're allowed to use a proxy to access x10hosting, that's not an issue. The issue is when you take something like PHProxy or India Web Proxy (!) or Glype and install it onto your x10hosting account itself.

This opens the flood gates for a user to hit the server 10-20 times in 3-4 seconds. Repeatedly. For as long as it takes until either we catch them, or our automated scanners catch them. This drags the server down with unneeded traffic - even paid shared won't allow proxies, you have to be on a VPS to allow them, and that's only because if it drags down the server, it's just your VPS getting killed.

That's it in a nutshell; if it was folks accessing x10 by proxy it'd be fine. It's users using x10hosting's resources to make themselves anonymous - it's annoying and a drag on resources. Proof that it's bordering on a plague on the servers right now is my sig - as of posting, last 24 hours shows 22 suspensions. 2 of those were NOT for proxies.

As for what a proxy is, it's basically a middle-man - you contact the proxy, the proxy contacts the place you actually want to go, then feeds the data back to you. That's also why it's a drag on our resources - we're not here to play middleman, we're here to host legitimate websites :)

Hopefully that covers it; if it doesn't let us know and we can clarify further. I'd rather have people ask first than get permanently suspended for something that would've been avoided with a quick "Hey, is this allowed?" :)

Last edited:

school2soccer56

Reaction score
Thanks! That actually covered it completely! I can definitely see that it's going problem. Very Informative, thank youuu :)