Novice Web Programming Forum (Suggestions appreciated)

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The firs think I tried to find is separate sections for different programming languages. I suppose you want to make an overall programming kind of forum (programming techniques and algorithms) but in any case you should have separate section for C, C++, Java, Delphi, PHP, ... That way people could easily fond what they are looking making them more happy with it and eventually register.

meinweb2

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I had considered that before, but was thinking I would add those boards after enough posts had been put up. I'll do that now.

Any other suggestions?

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
It may be worth posting some detailed tutorials on some common programming topics, then if you get those tutorials into Google's first/second page for that topic then you should attract visitors through that technique. Once you have some flow of people and some content, some will be tempted to register and contribute their own threads.
I would also try customising the skin a bit further, as it still looks quite like a base SMF install.

meinweb2

Reaction score
I'll start writing tutorials next then. Or are there some already written that I could leech from? (without infringing on copyrights of course) I know directly copying them isn't the best idea because Google will give the higher page ranking to the site I got them from. Therefore I could copy/paste and then edit them significantly OR just write my own. But I'm just a noob too. That's what the site's about. :)

I don't want to bother you, but how would I customize the skin some more? This is a modified (somewhat) template of Black Rain V2...

Thanks a lot again for these helpful hints!