Obama is president!!!

Jordan C

Reaction score
I'm not even in the US, but I'm saying YAY!!!!. Hopefully he can fix all the damage Bush has done.

rx7rx8

Reaction score
I heard in the news that 90% of black people voted for Obama and 55% of white people voted for McCain. If these numbers are true, well, it's a white or black matter, at least for black people.
I'm not American, I'd like to just understand: if those numbers were reversed (90% of white people voting for McCain) that would certainly be racism.
If racism is making a choice basing on the race of a person, isn't this election the same thing - racism pro black president?
Or maybe there is still racism in the US against black people, so that black people want some sort of "revenge" getting a black President?

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I heard in the news that 90% of black people voted for Obama and 55% of white people voted for McCain. If these numbers are true, well, it's a white or black matter, at least for black people.
I'm not American, I'd like to just understand: if those numbers were reversed (90% of white people voting for McCain) that would certainly be racism.
If racism is making a choice basing on the race of a person, isn't this election the same thing - racism pro black president?
Or maybe there is still racism in the US against black people, so that black people want some sort of "revenge" getting a black President?

Yes, in spite of what the media claims, racism is rampant here in the U.S.

Criptex

Reaction score
Yes, there's a lot of racism in here, but just certain places, and yeah... at SOME point, this election was decided by racism, but also, a lot of anglo descendent americans voted for him, and they are 81% of the population according to the US census bureau (2006) along with the vote of almost the whole hispanic population, that is 14.8% of the total population. and the rest of the races.
So, if only the black population would voted for him, he wouldn't have any chances to become president, because they're only 12.8% of the population.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, in spite of what the media claims, racism is rampant here in the U.S.

There definitely is a lot of racism in the US. Look at the racial profiling after 9-11 or the whole issue with the illegal immigrants.

Racism and bigotry will be around for a very long time in the US.

The question is though was racism a role in the presidential election? I think race was a big issue to many people. It shouldn't have been an issue but it was.

There were people who voted for Obama just because he was black but at the same time there were people who voted for McCain just because they did not want a black president.

I'd like to think that most of the people who did vote in general voted for real reasons and not for such trivial matters as skin color.

Criptex

Reaction score
There definitely is a lot of racism in the US. Look at the racial profiling after 9-11 or the whole issue with the illegal immigrants.

Racism and bigotry will be around for a very long time in the US.

The question is though was racism a role in the presidential election? I think race was a big issue to many people. It shouldn't have been an issue but it was.

There were people who voted for Obama just because he was black but at the same time there were people who voted for McCain just because they did not want a black president.

I'd like to think that most of the people who did vote in general voted for real reasons and not for such trivial matters as skin color.

Yes, and that's really sad, because I think people should always be distinguished from other people in order to have a high position, not by race, or religion, or anything else, but for their minds, I think every race in the world has something good to give, and also every race has bad people.
I think you have to be proud of your origins and your background, that's normal, but that doesn't mean that you have to be racist with people that is different from you.
If obama will be a good president or not, is not because he's black, white, green, blue, etc. it's because the decissions he will make in these four years and his capacity as a leader.

I wish I could be president one day!!! :drool:

goldblue

Reaction score
YAY and NAY.

YAY because he is a fresh change that the country needs.

NAY because in the current situation, i have doubts if he has the experience and strong leadership to help the US recover in the shortest time.

dbojan

Reaction score
I would agree to goldblue. I can not say yay or nay because it is very difucult to say is he going to be the man who will make good changes. It is certain that he will do something, he is young and ambitional.

swirly

Reaction score
He's only half black isn't he? So technically he's not the first black president...