Odd Problem With Forums

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a computer that is less than a year old and had plenty of memory and processor power. My preferred browser is Firefox 3.63 for Ubuntu.

Whenever I login to the x10Hosting forums everything loads quickly and runs very smoothly until I view 3 or 4 threads and then the page load begins to get progressively slower until pages take well over a minute to load. I discovered that logging out at this point and then logging back in, (without closing the browser or clearing the cache, cookies or anything else), will cause the pages to start loading very quickly again.

I have repeatedly looked at the browser settings and cannot see any settings that might be causing this. Also, the problem only seems to happen at x10Hosting forums and no other websites or forums.

Any ideas?

Carl

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks. I will try out your suggestions. I think it has something to do with cookies because cookies clear when I log out of the forums and that seems to solve the problem. But I still don't understand why. I am also at a complete loss as to why x10Hosting forums is the only thing that seems to be affected.

Carl

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not experiencing the same issue although I'm actually wondering one thing: are you blocking ads at all?

I've had longer loadtimes recently but the ads themselves don't get a chance to display and can't dump cookies onto my system because they're blocked from doing so - is it possible you aren't blocking ads, and that it's the cookies or something from the ads causing the odd slowdown?

Edit: By longer load-times I mean 1-5s before the page starts responding, although I'm not sure if it's my system or something else. But it never gets longer than that for me.

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I took a look at the browser settings and did not see any option to block or unblock ads. And all the ads seem to display correctly.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
You can install google chrome or opera on ubuntu.
If you use extensions in firefox like me, then you won't like to do this.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
You can install google chrome or opera on ubuntu.
If you use extensions in firefox like me, then you won't like to do this.

I have both of those installed. They are just not my favorite browsers. However, if this keeps up I am going to start using Chrome. I don't use Firefox extensions except for the ones suggested above. Still testing that out.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Well, I have discovered that I have absolutely no problems while using Chrome. Have no idea why that is. Chrome is not my favorite browser but I guess I will be using it here. Just something weird about my OS / Firefox / This Forum combination.

Carl

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Yesterday I used Ubuntu 10.04 live cd and found that I have same problem with forums on firefox too.Firefox version in live cd is 3.6.3.