OEM Vista

kirtik

Reaction score
I recently bought a new laptop, but I only have ubuntu... I want to use vista, but I don't have enough money for the full version atm. I heard that I could use an OEM version, and it would be just the same as if I bought the laptop with it preinstalled? Is this right?

Also, would I be able to do system restore / rest to fresh install etc?

If so, could someone point me to a cheap copy of Vista Home Prem OEM. Thanks :)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
OEM versions of software are usually only given with new PCs, and they often come with the OEM's software. It'd be a lot better to get the full version of Vista Home Premium without OEM, but if you are a student, you can get Student discounts on Windows Vista.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I heard a story where someone got around the hardware-with-OEM restriction by buying a power cord with Windows.

He has a lot of power cords. :lol:

Personally, I have an upgrade copy, which while it requires you to install Windows twice, it does work and you won't need to buy useless hardware.

The only real difference that OEM copies have are the licensing restrictions - the actual software is much the same.

Last edited:

Uchiha Sasuke

Reaction score
the real deal is that if you did get an OEM vista id go for the ultimate as much of home premium is the equivalent to XP media Center edition. with ultimate however u get access to language packs , and xtras plus it has everything from home premium
Edit:
I recently bought a new laptop, but I only have ubuntu... I want to use vista, but I don't have enough money for the full version atm. I heard that I could use an OEM version, and it would be just the same as if I bought the laptop with it preinstalled? Is this right?

here is a link to the OEM copy on new egg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116213

Last edited:

w4k3upn0w

Reaction score
Bill Gates has already publicly admited that people are using Pirate versions of his software and they have been for years. He understands and now he just don't care anymore. I guess he figures if you have to steal it, you ain't got the money. It would be hard to believe that a person such as himself can remember what it was like to be broke while trying to get his hands on a piece of hardware or software in his days ;) I guess he still remembers.

firesteel

Reaction score

A purchased OEM version of Windows Vista would run just as if the the laptop dealer had installed it. The version of Vista you buy, determines the "toys" you get to play with. For most users, Vista Home is enough, it provides DX10 for games, and a familiar user interface. If "eye candy", the Aero interface, and Media Center are your requiremetnts, Vista Home Premium will do. BTW, you can always start with the least expensive OEM version of Vista and upgrade to a more fully featured version when funds permit with the "Windows Anytime Upgrade". It's done online, with your original installaion media. Kind of a pay as you "grow" concept.

There is a downside to be mentioned here: you'll loose your Ubuntu install when you load any version of Windows Vista directly onto your hard drive. Microsoft's boot loader isn't Linux friendly in the least on bare metal installations and will happily claim the entire drive for itself, not even recognizing your Linux partition. An option is to run Vista as a Virtual Machine under Ubuntu using Xen or Vmware server, but performance will suffer, particularly if you like to play graphics intensive games in Windows.

If you do decide to loose your Linux install and choose a bare metal Vista install, you can always partition your HD later with QTparted or Gparted from a live Linux CD (like Knoppix) for a fresh Ubuntu install. The Grub bootloader used by Debian based linux distributions will recognize and happily load Windows as well, leaving you with a dual boot machine capable of running both OS'es.

Choices, choices . . . Isn't this fun?

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Well if you know anyone at a college campus in the US, OEM versions of Vista and XP are dirt cheap..

Last I checked I could get XP SP2 for less than $30

kirtik

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.. I'm in the UK so unfortunately I don't know anyone at college in the US... I might install something like 98 and then upgrade... this would work?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.. I'm in the UK so unfortunately I don't know anyone at college in the US... I might install something like 98 and then upgrade... this would work?

I think you need an NT based operating system like Windows XP for Server 2003. I'm not sure if it'd work on Windows 2000 though.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
If you buy Vista you can simply install Vista without entering the product code, then install Vista within Vista. That's what I did.

If you get XP, slipstream it with SP3 and do the same thing. :)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
You might also want to check with the manufacturer of the laptop and make sure they have drivers for your hardware made for Vista

I know specific HP laptop models have hardware drivers only for Vista, and none for XP (thus making downgrading nearly impossible)

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but no one has said anything about support (unless Ive missed a post somewhere). With OEM, you dont get any support from MS, unless its due to service packs or something special. Not that MS support is worth the extra cash though. Your basically paying for a pretty box :p.

Alex

firesteel

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but no one has said anything about support (unless Ive missed a post somewhere). With OEM, you dont get any support from MS, unless its due to service packs or something special. Not that MS support is worth the extra cash though. Your basically paying for a pretty box :p.

Alex

Support? Somehow I don't feel that's very important to someone currently using Linux on his laptop. Linux users are typically quite accustomed to finding support from a variety of sources. Their are numerous Windows Vista resources available after a brief search at any of the major web search providers.

Of course, I could be wrong here . . . in which case the OP should take your advice into consideration.

kirtik

Reaction score
I'm unlikely to need support, google is my friend :)

So I can get an upgrade copy and install it with out activation, then install the upgrade on the unregistered version? :s

Last edited: