onlione money making sytem

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
For one thing, there isn't a single non-scam site that uses the onbeforeunload event to try to prevent you from leaving the page. You might see it in a forms processing system if you're in the middle of something and might lose all of the data if you accidentally close a tab/window, but not on an ordinary landing page.

They are essentially combining two very old con games. The first is to have you do things that are absolutely free that you could have discovered all by yourself (ads and affiliate programs for existing enterprises). The second is a variation on the old "send me five dollars for the secret to wealth" classified ad, where for your five dollars you get a photocopied letter telling you to put classified ads in newspapers telling people to send you five dollars for the secret to wealth. Oh, and they have your email address too -- and since there's an existing relationship between you at that point, anything they and their "partners" send you isn't legally spam anymore. Neat, eh?

theone48

Reaction score
You tell 'em essellar. I got yer back pard. The second trick sounds awfully similar to the chain mail scheme. Explain that thing about preventing people from leaving a site again, please. Seems I've seen that occuring, more than once... I'd love to know why.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Programming in JavaScript for the web browser is mostly "event" based. A user clicks something, that's an event. The page finishes loading, that's an event. You submit a form, that's an event.

When the page tries to unload (you try to navigate away or close the window/tab), that's an event as well. You can add code (called an "event listener" because it "listens" for the event to occur) that returns either true or false to an event. If your code returns true, then the event goes ahead as planned. Return false and the event is cancelled. There isn't a whole lot you're supposed to be able to do in the onbeforeunload event ("on before unload" -- this event "fires" just before the page tries to unload), but you can put up a scary "are you sure" message. That's to prevent the user losing their data, as I said. The labels on the buttons and the title text on the dialog come from the system, you can't change them, but the text inside the box is yours to word as you please. If you click "Leave this page" (or whatever your browser puts in the button), the event gets a "true" result and goes ahead.

It is possible to run a teeny, tiny bit of code in the event as though, as long as it's small enough to finish before the page unloads -- and that code runs with your permission, which is much higher than the website's permission. (It runs with your permission because you clicked.) Sometimes that very short time interval is all it takes to do something you would probably rather the site didn't do to your machine (or do on the web with your credentials). I'm not saying that this site is malicious in that way, but between the pop-up itself and malicious code everywhere on the web, users are reluctant to click things. They'll believe that they're at gunpoint now -- "if I try to leave, he's going to hit me with a virus or something".

People like this guy rely on that fear to get signups, and it works.

theone48

Reaction score
Thanks alot for that. Yes, I've definately encountered this phenomenon many times with websites and always wondered why. Seemed fishy all the time. Now I know why.

anonymousplayer33

Reaction score
not using code analyzing or such high-tech stuffs but i have personally tested these "money making" stuffs (with school computer and fake email address), most of them are scam

Last edited: