OpenVZ cPanel Packages $15.95/mo plan???

stsights

Reaction score
Hello
Well I searched for info just to find out about the OpenVZ Cpanel package $15.95/mo plan. I am currently with the Artic paid hosting,
So I have a couple of question to the people that have their own OpenVZ Cpanel package so if you could tell me and explain this stuff that x10hosting cover with the OpenVz package and tell me the experiences that the have from the beginning and the things they do to start the VPS without a problem.
Stuff we cover

• Initial Setup & Basic Security (install OS ??)
  • Apache\PHP Recompiles (cPanel Software Only) (installing cpanel, php, updates etc???)
  • Updating cPanel
  • Firewall Setup & Configuration (CSF Only)(so I wont be able to change any configuration of this?)
Stuff we do not cover
  • Custom Compiles of Apache\PHP (updates??)
  • Software Installation, Configuration, & Troubleshooting
  • Website & Script Troubleshooting
Now another questions.
Can I host any domains and sub domains??
Parked domains?? how many SQL Databases?? how many ftp accounts? mail accounts?
mail configuration, ftp all that stuff is installed with cpanel??
What I mean is if I will have the same stuff that I have with my hosting paid plan, cpanel(crons, ftp) all of that and more, like changing the execution of time of a script, opening firewall ports, installing programs, another data bases , changing php settings.
Do you now with the paid hosting how much memory can we use?? and cpu?? I ask just to compare my hosting plan to the VPS with 512MB and CPU that the VPS has against the hosting paid package.
Well any info or recommendations that you have I will appreciate your help on this I am a newbie with the VPS but I want to start with a plan
thank you in advance

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I do not currently use the OpenVZ cPanel package, but I have had VPS for quite awhile so I can answer some general questions. You will have Centos OS installed by default, but will have the option to change that to another OS if you wish. I would highly recommend keeping Centos. You will be completely free to setup and configure the VPS anyway you wish within the limits of
TOS. Keep in mind that VPS is unmanaged and no support is offered unless something breaks at x10 which is a very rare occurrence. You will be able to get some good advice, suggestions, and "unofficial" support in this forum anytime you wish. You can host as many domains, subdomains, parked domains, SQL databases, ftp accounts, and mail accounts as your VPS resources (disc space and memory) allow - virtually unlimited. You can have all the "same stuff" you have on your paid plan and much more depending on how you decide to setup and configure your VPS. Your allowed memory, disc space and bandwidth will be determined by the particular plan you select. Due to the fact that the VPS services are unmanaged it is helpful to have a working knowledge of Linux, linux servers, LAMP, etc., but you can learn as you go if you wish. Others have done that. I know I did not answer every question you presented but I hope this helped a little and I am sure others will respond and offer comments and suggestions soon.

stsights

Reaction score
thank you carl6969 your answers were very helpful, which vps package do you have?? you dont use cpanel what do you use?? I think with the vps package the cpanel , mysql and php updates are made by yourself??
thank you again you explained to me in a very simple way.
thanks

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
If i might add some input, i use x3 plan, and its plenty for what i need(which isn't much)
I don't use cpanel either, i usually edit config files directly, or i use webmin, which is basically a web interface for config files. You still need to know how the config files work, as its not like cpanel's 1 click and your done scheme. If you have never worked with linux, there are several things you can do.
First would be to download a Virtualization application(i use Virturalbox), and then download a distribution of linux and install it into a VM. Then you can experiment and play with it.
Second. you could download a live CD. and run it in your computer, or a spare computer. The Live CD boots and runs the OS from the CD, without touching the hard disk.
Last, if you have a spare computer that you don't use, you could install it onto it, and work on it from there.
I would not recommend a linux server to anyone who has never worked with linux. Unlike windows(or cpanel), everything is done through the command line, so you have to have some degree of knowledge of what your doing.

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
thank you carl6969 your answers were very helpful, which vps package do you have?? you dont use cpanel what do you use?? I think with the vps package the cpanel , mysql and php updates are made by yourself??
I setup my VPS and operate it very similar to what Massuu described. I use the X3 plan. I also use Webmin (free) for much of the server configuration and management. I also use the free Webmin addon Virtualmin to setup and configure domains just because it makes that task a little quicker and simpler. If you decide to use either of these programs read information on the website carefully before installation. It is not difficult, but there are a few quirks. Yes, you will be doing your own updates for mysql, php, etc.. This is one of the many cases where knowledge of Linux and command line will be very useful. If you are not knowledgeable about Linux you should consider Masshuu's suggestions about that.

stsights

Reaction score
thank you for your responses there were very helpful, I have a domain and now I dont know if you could answer this, when I am going to buy the vps and I must introduce the domain name but my domain is currently being access and I dont want to interrupt my service while I am doing the configuration of the VPS server how could I do this?? and the X10hosting can the transfer my files to the vps server??
thanks

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
There will very likely be at least some brief service interruptions while you are setting up your VPS and transferring files. If you are currently using your domain registrars nameservers / dns and decide to leave it that way you will not have to wait for propagation. If you decide to use your own nameservers and / or manage your own dns, then you are going to have a 24 to 48 hour propagation delay. Of course this could be taken care of several days in advance of file transfers which would solve that problem. X10hosting VPS service is unmanaged. In simple terms, you are not going to get much help from staff unless there is some kind of problem at their end, which is very rare. I am very sure that you are going to need to do all file transfers yourself. I did. Support for VPS service is primarily through this forum, just as it is for free hosting users, but we will all be very happy to assist you or offer advice as much as possible.