Page load times

Status
Not open for further replies.

stox10bz

Reaction score
Ok so i know its free hosting and my expectations wernt rly that high but its not uncommon to get this:

Render time: 79.9219 sec, 55.8136 of that for queries. DB queries: 41. Memory Usage: 4,587kB

Am I the only one getting this? It seems to have been getting bad since the move to level. Is there a way to speed things up (its not a problem with the sites software as its been running for years)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, you may now be sharing server space with other users who feel that 41 SQL queries per page is reasonable. (It's not.)

That's only half facetious; there is a lot of software (both off-the-shelf and exquisitely hand-crufted) out there that is built on the assumption that resources are essentially infinite. All it takes is a couple of plugin-infested uncached WordPress sites, a Joomla or Drupal site or two and a forum with a lot of subforums all getting page hits at just about the same time to make even a finely-tuned MySQL installation scream. None of those sites, by itself, is enough to do it, but if there are a lot of queries hitting the database in a short period of time, everybody has to wait.

If it's possible, cache what you can. Reading from static files (created/updated during database updates as well as on schedule) will be faster and lower cost than database reads. If you are using something off the shelf, look for plugins/addons that might be able to do the cacheing for you. If you're ever in a mood to go deeper, consider an AJAX-style page that renders quickly to the browser with minimal content and updates as resources become available -- even if everything happens at the same speed, it feels much faster to the end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.