Paid or Free Hosting

RomeRome2

Reaction score
What do you think is better paid or free hosting?
In terms of quality of service, plan types, features and others that you can think of!

FalseHope

Reaction score
Paid hosting, why?
I just recently bought paid hosting, it is great. There is like absolute no downtime. In terms of features, it kind of depends on what package you get. But paid hosting is really great :) Gives you the comfort of know that your site will be up, without any downtime problems. Plus, with paid hosting you get the priority support, which can be a good thing, especially if you need support fast, and good support at that. But I'm not "dissing" free hosting, yes, it's great, because, well, it's FREE. You're not certain for as much uptime though, as there are more free accounts, on the free servers, than the paid servers. The support is also great! but, it isn't "priority" which means, paid before free customers :) But anyway, paid is the way! :D

AutoItKing

Reaction score
If I were older I would pick paid, it has more features and is much more reliable. Many web hosts also allow root access through SSH to their servers so that you can endlessly play with the server. But free hosts do not.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If I were older I would pick paid, it has more features and is much more reliable. Many web hosts also allow root access through SSH to their servers so that you can endlessly play with the server. But free hosts do not.

That is, unless you own your own dedicated server or your paid host has stuff set up to prevent you messing stuff up in SSH.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
If I had the money I would go paid because there will be better uptime, more space/bandwidth etc. But free hosting is great because, well, it's free.

Daniel S

Reaction score
I would say free for websites that are just starting but when it is all running smoothly and you have enough money it’s properly best considering paid hosting.

FalseHope

Reaction score
Haha.
Free, because it's free.
That sure is a good reason. Free hosting is great at x10, because of the support. If a member has an issue it is usually answered within an hour or two, which is excellent. But, I would still prefer paid. Another upside to paid, for the hosting company at least, it helps support them. :)

Stormscape

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure one liners are against the rules of this forum.

Comparing paid and free hosting is like saying this:
"What's better, an elephant or a million dollars?"
You can't really answer. If you say the elephant people ask you why you wouldn't want free money, if you say the money, people ask you why you wouldn't want an elephant. Comparing the two is really impossible no matter who says otherwise.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanna point out if you're comparing paid and free on x10, the only real differences are that the paid server is almost infinitely more stable simply because it's barely being used, and you get priority support.

Now if we're comparing paid x10 to free <insert rival suck-host here>, paid wins hands down :)

Guess on x10 it kinda boils down to whether you want your site stable at any given moment and not subject to spammers running on the free server, and if you tend to want help in the priority support section.

Personally I jumped to paid just before the free servers had their problems in January, was totally worth it for that, and it's totally worth it to know that if it happens again, I'm pretty much not gunna be on a server affected by it :)

Cliff Dude

Reaction score
Free if you're just running a personal/small website.
Paid if you're running a big website.

Sohail

Reaction score
Well free does give you a lot of features, even more than usual paid hosting but paid gives you even more features, it really depends on what kind of standards you need...

sunils

Reaction score
confusing statement.

Paid has all the advantages like, backup, support, larger uptime, guaranteed service.

But free has some disadvantages like no guaranteed service..

phantomrainbow

Reaction score
i like free hosting,right now i am still learning how to edit the sites and stuff.
but you get alot of great features here,that most sites make you pay alot for..

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I use free.

I've only ever used one paid hosting, which was rubbish.
I then tried x10hosting... Amazing. You get more disk space than most, and much better support.

mattspec

Reaction score
im semi-paid haha its a good time im on the dev pack its $20 a year basic basic plan but you dont have to worry about many things and it contributes to the community at a very low cost to yourself ;)

tittat

Reaction score
Free, because it's free. :biggrin:
nice thought.
But if you want to grt rid of those restriction you must consider buying a paid hosting.

Currently all x10's paid plans are huge(both in price and size of hosting package).Corey must consider adding a small plan for people like me.

Stormscape

Reaction score
tittat: That's what the dev package is for. $20/year for 500mb of space, 20gb of bandwidth per month, it's pretty much a good package. I too was hesitant when I saw the Static price and size until I heard about the dev package.

Last edited: