Paid or Free Hosting

chianghl

Reaction score
Personal / Educational / Try Out
Get the FREE one if you are running your own personal portfolio or sites of personal interest where which you do not expect much web traffics. OR, you can also use it to learn scripts like PHP and MySQL, then when you are finally done with learning, you can also test your site with the free hosting before making sure it will work on a paid hosting.

SMB / Commercial
I would recommend that they get the PAID hosting instead of the free one due to the following reasons:
- Reliability of hosting can prevent loss of customers
- A larger bandwidth can allow more visitors to the site and also can prevent those suspensions that may occur in FREE hosting
- A faster and a more extensive support is normally provided by paid hosting.
- Don’t have to login to forum as long as they pay the subscription (I hope I am right about this =X)

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I go with free with ads because I get a better service then without ads, and I don't have to open my wallet!
However, once something gets big, I'll go into paid.

hezuo

Reaction score
well, it depends on what you are looking for. If you have a personal site which doesn't require too much space or bandwith, you'll be fine with a free hosting (just like me). but if you are gonna upload a huge site and you're thinking of getting many visitors (which are gonna consume a lot of bandwith) you definately will need a paid hosting.

burner35

Reaction score
I must say paid hosting, because they are offering possibly one of the best services providers in Space and bandwidth. When I began paid hosting I'd realized the better plans, more options, better scripts. It was really god for my TM community website.

jetmav

Reaction score
I believe webhosts are offering free hosting to enable webmasters to try their services and hopefully upgrade or migrate to paid hosting. If you are satisfied with how your website works in a free hosting account, then upgrading to a paid one with higher bandwidth and other supports won't be a hard decision to make.

burner35

Reaction score
Except for Higher disk space and more bandwidth. it's good if your making sites for big companies or big gaming sites. Then you'd need to step up and go to a newer plan.

intertec

Reaction score
I have to say paid even though I am with free. Free is good since its free. So when I earn revenue through my site, I will then go with paid for better support, bandwidth, space and way more up time!

Dan

Reaction score
[Please when posting in this thread from now on, make sure that you are not just repeating what someone else has said and make sure you are not just posting a one liner such as 'I like free hosting'. Posts should be more like 'I think free hosting is a lot better than paid hosting because free hosting is much more reliable and at most hosts you get more support. Also most paid hosts go and rip you off' etc. etc.

infopage

Reaction score
I am now wondering the same thing because of the constant suspension problems I'm getting with the free hosting, but I also wonder about the upgrade as far as if it's a one time payment deal and how much better would it be:confused:

btw,
Nice avatar RomeRome2:wink:

Last edited:

haranco

Reaction score
I think if you re running an online business, obviously u shuold buy your hosting and your domain. If not, keep strugglin with these "database errors". :mad:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I prefer free. Because it's free.

In terms of features, paid and free are about the same, but in terms of performance paid is a LOT faster. Not that free is slow, paid is just fast :D

~Callum

pentium42006

Reaction score
Running your own server isn't that easy. You need to have a good connection, so the site doesn't take 5 minutes to load. Your computer needs to actually be half decent. It's probably cheaper and better to just buy hosting. I don't see why you would need to do this just for a website. It's quite pointless. If it was an old computer with like less than 300k ram, the site would run really slow and you would run into a lot of problems. Just as well, you use your money for something good and buy hosting, or even just get free hosting, and save yourself the hassle.

I really hope by 300k of RAM you meant 300 MB of RAM! :eek::eek::eek: You'd be better of snail-mailing someone the printouts of your site if someone were to attempt to run a site on 300k. :confused::tongue:

I'd say this whole thing breaks down to "You get what you pay for." If you don't mind severe speed variations, unexpected downtime, receive very little traffic, and just need a hosting "playground", than free hosting is definitely for you. On the other hand, if you need hosting quality and assurance in your host, then spend the money for paid hosting and do it right the 1st time. :wink:

And as I'm writing this, my personal blog on free hosting is down....

Last edited:

chanh.ong25

Reaction score
Free hosting for hobbyist and you don't care if your site got suspended or cancel or whatever.

If you have anything that worth your effort and don't want to lose it then paid host is what you should consider.

Also consider whether you need ssh access. Some hosting provide ssh some does not. For those that don't know ssh it is a tool that you can have a shell on the server and do all the work directly on the server and it save lot of time instead of using the browser it is frustrating if you want to get thing done quick.

For many people that don't know ssh you might not miss it but for those that has use ssh before like me ssh on hosting is a must when selecting hosting provider.

blendingcorey43

Reaction score
Neither! I prefer to run my own webserver. I have an old tower running Debian in the basement that I use to test everything out. However, nothing beats the speed of a dedicated server with an intel i7 and 8GB of DDR3. That is, of course, if you need the speed. I use free hosts because my ISP doesn't allow for hosting of servers, and I don't feel like going around the incoming port 80 block. Running your own server allows you to add whatever you want. Storage space is only limited by your harddrive, and you have no limits on mail accounts. Or anything else, for that matter.

rimjim_bristi200549

Reaction score
LOL, you are asking a question to which the answer is as obvious as the clear sky out there. Free hosting and Paid hosting are worlds apart, and if you have a relatively large site that has a good number of visitors per day, then you WILL need paid hosting. Free just won't cut it.

But for websites that are just starting out, or maybe even a personal site, free will suffice.