Password protecting directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

blastedt

Reaction score
I want to password protect a directory so only certain people can reach the files I place there. However, when I click the link in cPanel to do so, I get a warning about Frontpage extensions being enabled. Halp?

zen-r

Reaction score
Hi blastedt.

Do you mean that you get a warning that Frontpage extensions are disabled?

If so, that is because functions like that & PHP have been disabled for the time being, to improve server stability, while the upgrade process is completed.

For those people still having problems, please make sure you have read this ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/98555-latest-updates-6-14-09-a.html#post549837

Sorry I can't help with how to add password protection - perhaps someone else here with more tech knowledge can advise you on that.

blastedt

Reaction score
It actually tells me that I'm not allowed to password protect things because it's enabled.

zubair12

Banned
Reaction score
On which server you are?????
As zen-r says it is due to server update
mine is working fine...

zen-r

Reaction score
On which server you are?????
As zen-r says it is due to server update
mine is working fine...

No, I only mentioned that in relation to Frontpage extensions.

The cause of this problem could be something else for all I know.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Have you tried using .htaccess/.htpasswd files for this? It may not be the most secure way of doing this besides encryption, but it is efficient and does work just fine, and is also resistant to a bit of brute forcing. It's also probably the easiest way of doing this as well. Don't bother with messing with CHMOD with folders unless it's needed just in case you were looking at that.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
.htaccess (password protection) and frontpage extensions are not compatable. You can't use both at once.

gomarc

Reaction score
I want to password protect a directory so only certain people can reach the files I place there. However, when I click the link in cPanel to do so, I get a warning about Frontpage extensions being enabled. Halp?

Are you using FrontPage to publish your site?

If not, just uninstall the FrontPage Extensions from cPanel > Advanced

2v8kcpi.jpg

Then you will be able to protect the directory you want.

blastedt

Reaction score
First: I'm on Lotus.

Second: I don't know anything about htacess files.

Thirdly, I'm not using Frontpage but rather writing all my code by hand. I'll try uninstalling them, thanks.

blastedt

Reaction score
At least, I would uninstall the Frontpage stuff if my cPanel and website were up.

zubair12

Banned
Reaction score
Try it but i don`t think it works..mine is working fine with frontpage extension enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.