PC or MAC?

Which is better? PC or Mac?

• PC

Votes: 62 57.9%
  • Mac

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Both!

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Other (Please state in post which that is!)

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bazor

Reaction score
I like Windows the most atm because it's able to play more games and use more software than other OSes like Linux and Mac OS. I have tried the Mac a few times, but not enough to give a real opinion on it. The one mouse button is a bit weird though. But then again all you got is one mouse button to worry about. Linux isn't bad either, I just wish it was more user-friendly for most people and more compatable. I tried Quake 3 on Linux and it ran much faster than on Windows. So yea, Linux is good, it just needs improvement. With the Mono project in development that supports .net applications and with the push of developers using C# for games, prehaps finally we can see more games and more software on various OSes without the hassle.

Reaction score
Wel i think PC because with a pc you can mod it and tweak it to what you want and have more opions.
also with a pc you can have more games and software then MAC.
And because i have never try a MAC beore:p

mehtab

Reaction score
Iwoudls like both but use Mac for browsing and doing other work while PC for gaming.

Cubeform

Reaction score
Wel i think PC because with a pc you can mod it and tweak it to what you want and have more opions.
also with a pc you can have more games and software then MAC.
And because i have never try a MAC beore:p

Don't knock it 'till you try it.

Also, I hate it when people put "Mac" in all caps. It's a Mac, not a MAC. An MAC (or a MAC address) is a unique identifier your network adapter has. A Mac is a computer.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I've tryed Mac's, my main complaint is the games I like don't play well with it (and I'm a windows junkie at heart, although I won't touch vista with a 4000 foot pole until it gets something better than Halo 2 and Shadowrun, a poor adaptation of a pen/paper tabletop RPG gone FPS Deathmatch).

Other than that though the Mac was the better option. The problem? I'm a gamer. I like games. Mac simply didn't run enough of the ones I already paid for :(

reichiru

Reaction score
I like PC MUCH better. I don't know, there's just something about Macs that I don't like, perhaps it's the way they programmed everything (otherwise it's just my school computers' problem). But I've been using PC for as long as I knew how to use a computer, and it's always worked fine for me... most of the time.

dino-m

Reaction score
I vote for both because both of them have their qualities and faults.

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
Both.
Just depend on WHAT will be their use.

'Pc' i think zenax said IBM PC types Vs. Macintoshes.

Ok, i tell why i choosed both.

Mac. Easy to use, graphically superior to windows (thats why Vista is a copy of mac os x), less incompatibilities (mac, apple does everything fits perfectly. Hardware and software. Microsoft? just software, so hardware is of your own choice.), less VIRUS and more secure. Mac IS for graphic programs. Photoshop, Illustrator, FinalCut. All related to graphic, publicity/advertising/propaganda uses mac.

A Mac G4 800mhz 256mb runs a Photoshop 7 4times (!!!) faster than a Athlon XP 1.8ghz 512mb.

But, mac os x isnt a common OS like windows, so, the compatibility with programs and games is limited.

So, for games and general programs, here comes IBM PC type and the Bugged Window$ of Micro$oft. Just because microsoft made just a software to fit ibm's, not an entire new computer. This made costos lower and they made success.

But, in all cases:

Mac = Design, Edit, WORK.
Pc/Windows = Common stuff (word, etcs.. Even if Mac has Ms. Office too, people cant type so fast. the Keyboard is very different and the hotkeys too.), games, enterteiniment (ok, i do not know how write that but i think you got it xD), FUN.

but i <3 mac :)

Don't knock it 'till you try it.

Also, I hate it when people put "Mac" in all caps. It's a Mac, not a MAC. An MAC (or a MAC address) is a unique identifier your network adapter has. A Mac is a computer.

Lol, i laught a LOT when the IT Manager of where i work said: "Hey, gimme the MAC adress of your Mac, so i can add it in our network."

heh. That was funny.

And yes, Mac = Macintosh.
MAC =/ (dunno how make the 'different' character) Macintosh

Last edited:

thestormrage

Reaction score
I'd prefer PC any day all-withstanding its not so helpful 'features'. The reason being that the PC has more applications, (more variety and many of which are freeware!) I believe Mac has a wide range of software; forgive my naivety, but how many of them are freeware?? If I already have paid for the Mac so much, isn't it a pain to have to pay for every small software that I've to use with it?

Further more, Do they have photoshop and C&C for Mac?? ;)

Chris Z

Reaction score
I don't know what C&C is, but I know that they do have Photoshop for Mac. By the way, I'm a Windows user too, not a Mac. My grandad is a Mac enthusiast, so I know a little bit more about Mac than probably most Windows users.

trev

Prime Account
Reaction score
THe only C&C i know is command and conqurer id have a mac there over windows anyday as long a i imported it from the US soooo much cheaper over there.

Cynical

Reaction score
PC for now, though I'd like to try out a Mac for when I go away to school in a little over a year.

While on the subject, if you like the Mac's utility bar thing, check this out: http://www.objectdock.com .

Last edited:

azntechguy

Reaction score
Time and time again, it's still PC ftw. Both computers in my house are PCs, almost ALL the computers in my college are Macs (otherwise, I'm forced to use completely sh*tty PCs there)

Almost all my friends have Macs, with reasons that fly from: 1) doesn't break on them as easily, 2) looks great, 3) works faster. My response goes:

1) I dunno how people can avoid them, but I experience crashing on Windows, Macs and Linux pretty frequently on multiple computers I've had with different hardware configurations. And no, only while doing routine tasks. I don't go about intentionally to try and break the O/S. Not secure? It's only as secure as you!
2) Who can argue with that? But then again, I'm have a "cut the BS" mentality (with exceptions) and I've grown up using DOS before eyecandies were the norm.
3) What are you kidding me? If you optimize XP properly, it loads faster than Mac OS X with minimal software installed any day. Besides, Apple didn't sign a n exclusivity agreement with Intel for their Core 2 Duos. ;)

I still think those who were ex-PC enthusiasts who converted to Macs voluntarily are suckers. They've got suckered into the expensive glossy plastic. I've tried and saw what they said that made them switch their minds to a Mac and I am still not that impressed *shrug*. Irony is, I find it funny that many Mac users still come to me to ask me questions on how to do something on it. Gee, you're the Mac user, I'm the PC guy. (kinda went the same with my ex-g/f. Gee, you're the one in Harvard. I'm the one in City University.)

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
Time to get past the obvious.

Mac and PC have their own qualities on making it the best computer on their own terms.

yup!
Mac is Pure design / creating. Then, nothing better than Adobe program fit better :p

Only one program Mac dont have of the adobe products.. Adobe Premiere Pro. But its because Mac have FinalCut, that does the same thing. :)

Cubeform

Reaction score
I'd prefer PC any day all-withstanding its not so helpful 'features'. The reason being that the PC has more applications, (more variety and many of which are freeware!) I believe Mac has a wide range of software; forgive my naivety, but how many of them are freeware?? If I already have paid for the Mac so much, isn't it a pain to have to pay for every small software that I've to use with it?

Further more, Do they have photoshop and C&C for Mac?? ;)

They have Command & Conquer Generals Deluxe Edition, and coming soon, C&C 3 for the Mac, as announced by EA in the Apple WWDC keynote.

DarkDragonLord

Reaction score
Mac have Diablo2 as well.

In any way, Mac is better. Its just get a Pc emulator for mac (microsoft have its own that runs windows 98 or later) and then, run the program just to play games. :)

Trixter

Reaction score
I’ve worked with both Mac and PC for over 14 years now and own/use both currently.

I’ve found Macs to be more stable and idiot proof then PCs they also handle hardware intensive programs better (i.e. Graphic Design Programs) they also focus on making work flow smoother. The reason for this is Mac does NOT support backward compatibility. So what does that mean? You may ask. Well it means that every time Apple released a new OS you as a user had to take their new hardware as well. It would NOT run on your old hardware. This saved them a TON of time troubleshooting compatibility issues letting them optimize their software.

PCs however have a much bigger support base i.e. more people working on programs and features they are also aimed more at the home/casual business user then the power user/graphic designer. This results in PCs having more programs written for them but programs written for a PC generally won’t work as well as their Mac Counterparts the main reason for this is hardware. Let me explain what I mean, if I'm writing a program for a Mac I know exactly what hardware the program is going to use which means I know what exactly what I can make my program demand from the system to run smoothly. whereas when I'm writing one for a PC I have no idea what types of hardware the end-user is going to have and can only guess how it will react on their hardware this means I have to make my program much more flexible just to be able to handle the different types of hardware the end-user will be using, the reason there are minimum and recommended requirements, which in turn makes it less stable and easier to crash/hack (one of the reasons PC is the most hacked OS system).

Example of what I’m talking about:
If I install XP on two equal high end machines exactly the same but made with different brand motherboards will they run the same? NO! Why? The motherboards will have slight differences from one another. This slight difference will cause one to outperform the other doing certain functions and vice versa. This is the reason you can’t install some old programs on new Equipment. Ever try to install a old game you really loved only to have it not work or be so buggy you can’t play it? One of the reasons are the pathways are different (both software and hardware) so the commands get lost.

The fact that Macs now have Intel chip sets in them is a compromise on Apples part to get more into the home market as they can now run most windows programs. The downside is Macs don’t perform the way they used to and crash more often.

Last edited: