Periodic outages of my site for months

jimd999

Reaction score
I've had my pages on x10 since mid summer 2009, and it's been pretty good. I don't have a problem with logging into the forum as specified, and I think I've only screwed that up and been suspended once, and got it fixed quickly.

Having said that, all this time, it seems like once or twice a month, my site is just plain not served at all for a while, six or eight or ten hours at a time. Then it comes back by itself. Sometimes I can connect via ftp and access the site files when this is happening, and sometimes not.

Messages in Firefox when this happens:
Page Load Error (on tab) Failed to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.jimdettwiler.com. Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

It's doing it right now as I write this, and has been today for about four hours so far. Not good.

jimd999

Reaction score
Hmm, 43 views and no replies as I logged in today. I guess the unspoken answer here is, if I want to expect 100% up-time, I should pay somebody for my hosting.

Or in the immortal words of the Blues Brothers, what do you want for nothing?

Fair enough.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
The free servers are heavily loaded and are also subject to a great deal of abuse, (either intentional or unintentional), from users. Therefore they are not going to be as reliable or perform as well as paid hosting services. Paid hosting servers have less users per server and usually receive less abuse than the free servers, so, yes, you are going to have more reliable service with the paid services. There is currently some maintenance occurring on the free servers to purge inactive accounts. That is creating some additional load on the free servers but when that maintenance is complete all the servers should operate much more efficiently. A little patience with this will be rewarded soon. Most free hosting users are experiencing some or all of the same issues you are dealing with and your frustration is certainly understandable. But the bottom line is that paid hosting services are, (and always will be), superior to free hosting services in many ways.