Permissions without Web Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdw999

Reaction score
I have ftp access using Nautilus on Linux. How can I change permissions on a file in my cgi-bin directory?

Web Disk does not work for me, for some reason.

jdw999

Reaction score
Tab?

When I right-click on a file in Nautilus, I get a menu, but there is no "Permissions" selection.

There is a Properties selection, and it opens a dialog with some tabs, but none of them are right-clickable.

I click the Permissions tab and there is a message: "The permissions of "hello.pl" could not be determined."

I tried connecting to the server via ssh, but do not have shell access.

I have not been successful in completing the Web Disk install, either, because Nautilus does not recognize the URL as a folder.

Any other ideas?

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
Install filezilla and use that to change the permissions (right click -> file attributes)
If you are on ubuntu, sudo apt-get install filezilla

jdw999

Reaction score
Yep. That works.

One concern, though. FileZilla connects on the default port (21).

Forgive this n00b, but how secure is this?

It will not connect to the SSL port for Web Disk (2082, I think; I copied and pasted from the cPanel page, so I know it was the right one).

Any quick tips on how to connect with FileZilla through SSL?

jdw999

Reaction score
Followed the directions, with one exception--I could only get a connection by leaving the port number field empty. The FileZilla log says it connected on port 21 using a TLS/SSL connection and a certificate.

I am curious as to how many Linux users have been able to follow the cPanel Web Disk directions verbatim and how many have had to resort to other means of connecting such as this.

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
Sorry about the port.

I believe webdisk is a little error prone at this time. In the times I've used it I've had problems.

jdw999

Reaction score
No prob about the port. I played around with it a bit and got the connection.

As long as the connection is secure, that is really all I care about. Eventually, there will be some info going across it that I would like to keep secure. I am assuming that is the case, since it is a TLS/SSL connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.