Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney Series

lolerlol

Reaction score
Best. DS. Game. Ever.

Apollo Justice, out Febraury

:biggrin:

From Wikipedia

Ace Attorney, known in Japan as Gyakuten Saiban (逆転裁判, Gyakuten Saiban? lit. "Turnabout Trial"), is a series of adventure/visual novel games in which players assume the role of a defense attorney in a fictional courtroom setting which is based on the Japanese legal system to strive to find their clients "not guilty", using investigation, evidence, and cross-examination to prove their case. The first three games in the series, originally released only in Japan and in Japanese between 2001 and 2004 for the Game Boy Advance platform, have been ported to the Nintendo DS as well as localized into English and other languages. The series has been developed for the DS from the ground up starting in the fourth game. The DS remakes and games in the series take advantage of the DS' features, including the microphone and touchscreen.

The first three games feature and are sometimes referred to by the eponymous main protagonist, Phoenix Wright. The fourth game, set seven years after the end of the third game, introduces a new protagonist, Apollo Justice, who takes over for Wright.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't point out that Apollo Justice was specifically designed FOR the DS - it's not a port :)

So to all you people who hate PW cause it's a port: NOT ANYMORE! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Totally getting it when it launches, so long as it won't mess up the plans I've got going for something special.

lolerlol

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the first three were ports. They were awesome anyway.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the first three were ports. They were awesome anyway.

Well yeah, but some gamers have a strong aversion to ports.

I mean, comparing the DS to the GBA isn't exactly apples to oranges, but it's still comparing two kinda-like objects that aren't close enough to really judge well. GBA had a smaller screen than the DS, and the DS has 2 of them. So from that perspective lots of gamers would think the PW series has to suck cause it originally was on an inferior console.

Until I read PW was a port I had no idea though. Only thought to look when a certain GBA rom-set I picked up had Gyakuten Saiban listed in it all over the place (and coincidentally that name matched a rom in the NDS set I had as well - got me interested in what it was).

Ended up buying the first 3 based off the rom I had; they kicked more than enough backside to justify the cash :)

SIDE NOTE: PLEASE BUY THESE - Support Capcom so they make sure to release a 5th in the series (likely would be a second under the name Apollo Justice, but the 5th in the ace attorney series).

Last edited:

SkyStormKuja

Reaction score
Agreed. This game is really excellently done, even if it's a port. Does it really matter? The nature of the game, the characters, the way things are done, they are all in the same way unique and funky, as Trauma Centre was when it was released. It just was a new way of doing things.

And the actual gameplay of PW is something really enjoyable. I've sat for hours playing the game, unable to stop myself from going on to the next episode, as it is addictive and interesting.

I give this game a thumbs up, as it is awesome.

chisaku

Reaction score
Wowzah! I just finished the second one... Justice for All. I'm still after the third game though... it's not in Europe yet. Thanks for the link to the flash demo, lolerlol. :D