Photoshop Tutorials

Cambridge

Reaction score
PHOTOSHOP: GRUNGY PIXEL EFFECTS by: Cambridge

1) We're going to use the following image of the beautiful Alicia Keys for this tutorial. Go ahead and open it up in Photoshop.

01.jpg

2) Select the entire image and copy it (CTRL + A then CTRL + C). We'll need this copied image later. Then set the color mode to Indexed Color: Image >> Mode >> Indexed Color.

02.gif

3) Copy the settings I have below and click OK.

03.gif

4) Now set the color mode back to RGB Mode: Image >> Mode >> RGB Color.

04.gif

5) Now we're going to paste the original image we had copied earlier into a new layer (CTRL + V). Select the top layer in your Layers Palette and set the blending mode to Overlay using the drop down menu.

05.gif

6) Select the bottom layer and set the opacity to any value you wish until you achieve your desired results. In this example, I set it to 20%.

06.gif

7) Your final result should look somewhat like this:

07.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course you can go much further than this using other Photoshop techniques. Be creative and have fun.

NOTE: If you'd like to learn how to achieve the torn border effect as seen in the image above, view my tutorial: Torn Border.

PHOTOSHOP: HALFTONE EFFECTS by: Cambridge

1) We're going to use the following image of the beautiful Alicia Keys for this tutorial. Go ahead and open it up in Photoshop.

01.jpg

2) Using the marquee tool, select within the border of the image, as shown below.

02.jpg

3) Now we're going to invert our selection: Select >> Inverse.

03.gif

4) Switch into Quick Mask Mode by clicking once on the icon highlighted below (or press the letter Q on your keyboard). Now your image should look as though there is a red semi transparent box over your image.

04.jpg

5) Next, apply the Color Halftone filter: Filter >> Pixelate >> Color Halftone. When the prompt comes up, input 8 as the maximum radius. Do not worry about the other values.

05.gif

6) When the prompt comes up, input 8 as the maximum radius. Do not worry about the other values. Hit OK. Now it should look as tho a big red semi transparent blob is floating on top of the image, as shown below.

06.jpg

7) Exit Quick Mask mode by clicking once on the icon highlighted below.

07.jpg

8) At this point, there's going to be tiny little dots that are part of the selection inside the border of the image. You can't see them right now, but trust me, they are there and we want to get rid of them. Take your rectangular marquee tool and while pressing and holding the ALT button, select within the halftone border, as shown below.

07b.jpg

When you release the marquee tool, the selection should disappear, or what you have should look no different from what we had in step 7.

9) Lastly, hit the BACKSPACE or DELETE button on your keyboard to delete the selected part of the image. Your final image should look somewhat like the following:

08.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course you can go much further than this using other Photoshop techniques. Try experimenting with the maximum radius value in step 6 to achieve different results. Be creative and have fun.

PHOTOSHOP: Shockwave Effects by: Cambridge

1) Start with a new document size 400 x 400 pixels with a black background. Using the text tool, type something across the middle of the canvas. I wrote 'Xquizit" as shown below. It doesn't really matter what you type.

01.gif

2) Rasterize the text layer: Layer >> Rasterize >> Type. Then rotate the layer by 90 degrees: Edit >> Transform >> Rotate 90 degrees CW.

02.gif

3) Apply the wind filter ("from the right"): Filter >> Stylize >> Wind. Use the settings I have below and hit OK:

03.gif

4) Press CTRL + F twice to apply the filter two more times. Then apply the wind filter again (Filter >> Stylize >> Wind) but this time use apply it "from the left":

04.gif

5) You should have something like what I have below:

05.jpg

6) Apply the polar coordinate filter: Filter >> Distort >> Polar Coordinates. Select "polar to rectangular" as shown below:

06.gif

7) You should now have something like what I have shown below:

07.jpg

8) Duplicate this layer: Layer >> Duplicate. Flip it vertically: Edit >> Transform >> Flip Vertical. Then align it to the bottom of the canvas by selecting the entire document (CTRL + A) and then going: Layer >> Align To Selection >> Bottom Edges.

08.jpg

9) Merge the top two layers by selecting the top layer and pressing CTRL + E. Duplicate this layer: Layer >> Duplicate. Then rotate the layer by 90 degrees: Edit >> Transform >> Rotate 90 degrees CW.

09.jpg

10) Now merge those two layers by selecting the top layer and pressing CTRL + E. Apply the polar coordinates filter again (Filter >> Distort >> Polar Coordinates) except this time select "rectangular to polar".

10.jpg

11) The next step is apply the radial blur filter: Filter >> Blur >> Radial Blur. Use the following settings:

11.gif

12) Apply the radial filter a second time by hitting CTRL + F.

2005(C) Cambridge. All Rights Reserved.