Photoshop vs. Illustrator

Which one do you use/prefer?

• Total voters

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Photoshop:
Adobe Photoshop, or simply Photoshop, is a graphics editing program developed and published by Adobe Systems. It is the current and primary market leader for commercial bitmap and image manipulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoshop

Illustrator:
Adobe Illustrator, or simply Illustrator, is a vector-based graphics editing program developed and published by Adobe Systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Illustrator

as you can see, illustrator purpose is for vector based stuff, i.e. (logos, text, banners, etc) while photoshop is used for photos.

I still don't see why many people use Photoshop to do logos, while illustrator is much better.

reply with your voice

Agenator

Reaction score
Really kind of a pointless topic. Illustrator and Photoshop are two differnt things. Thats like trying to compare if the flavor of a banana is better than the flavor of an apple, it cant be fairly done. Illustrator is used in different work than photoshop. I think both are a useful tool iside any editors/designors tool box, I dont think they need to be compared.

fbieventservices

Reaction score
I do USE and prefer Photoshop over Illustrator. Only because I am very familiar with Photoshop. I have used Illustrator for certain assignments I have had where our class was required to use the program but other than that, I am more aquainted with Photoshop rather than Illustrator. Although, with my use of Illustrator I would like to learn more about the program and its functions.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I have Adobe Photoshop, I don't have Illustrator though, hence why I chose my choise of Photoshop. If anything, I might look into getting Illustrator for banners and such, but yet again there might be an Open Source solution I can look into.

idfizbo

Reaction score
I personally do most of my desigining in a vector program first (not Illustrator though... too slow for my personal taste), and then I import that into photoshop. Because the final output usually needs to be a bitmap (web-based stuff, etc), it's often prudent to edit it as a bitmap last. Photoshop has some great filters and tools that Illustrator does not.

Basically, they work best together.

lakey

Reaction score
I think that photoshop is better because im started using it and dont wanna learn something new :p but still photoshop has its bad side like its not vector based.

Noodles8

Reaction score
I'm going to agree with Agentator.

Photoshop and Illustrator are 2 entirely different programs designed to do 2 entirely different things. And I feel that any designer should have both in their arsenal. Even if its not those 2 directly but a vector and pixel image editor.

My personal opinion of them is that they're both great and both do wonderful things with what they're intended for. And having both allows you do really take full advantage of with both programs have to offer.

OscarX

Reaction score
It would be a better battle between Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Fireworks CS3.

I enjoy using Fireworks, I was never a Photoshop type of guy. Never liked using brushes for most of my designs. I love making them out of vectors and custom.

exitnow

Reaction score
Isn't it better to compare Illustrator with CorelDraw or Photoshop with Gimp or something like that?
I use CorelDraw for vectors and Photoshop photos and Firework for web graphics. It's not that often i do vectors so I mostly stick with Photoshop.

Last edited: