PHP Changes Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to post this so everyone understands WHY we made the recent changes to PHP. Let me start by saying this is not something we wanted to do, anyone who knows PHP and servers can appreciate how much coding had to go into making this work and it's all 99% automated besides approving the accounts. We have tons of other things we could better spend our time on. ;)

x10 is fairly popular and we get between 400-600 sign-ups EVERY day. That is a lot of accounts! For a regular paid host they could only hope to get that many accounts in a whole year! So please think about that when you compare x10 to paid hosting and other hosts. We've spent 3 years developing and learning here on x10, I can guarantee you that if you threw 400 accounts each day to any other host that gives you as many features as we do they'd be down and gone within a week. I'd say our servers and everything handle this quite well and we've had minimum downtime considering the circumstances.

With those hundreds of accounts each day there are a good amount of spammers, phishing accounts, mail bomb scripts, etc... These types of users ruin it for everyone else because they can cause tons of issues with a server very quickly. So to limit this and be fair to the people who genuinely want to create a website we decided to implement the current PHP system. It may take you a little longer up front to get everything working the way you want but it will be worth it in the long run when you have a working web site that doesn't go down or have issues caused by these other abusers.

Most of the abusers want an account as fast as possible and then upload a file or two and on they go with their abuse. By putting this system in place we are adding extra steps to screen these people out. The genuine people who want a website will go through with out a problem where as these abusive people will most likely find it too much work and not even try.

So please understand, this makes more work for us too and we're only doing it to better the hosting services here. If there was some way to automatically tell what each and every person's intentions were we'd be all set but we don't have that ability. We have to do what we think is best for the whole community even if it means asking you to spend a few extra minutes reading and applying for an upgraded version of PHP ;).

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

-Corey

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Login to your account panel: http://x10hosting.com/login with your FORUM user\pass. Once logged in there is a section on the left to request the new version of PHP. Request Version 2(Intermediate).

-Corey

CrownVictoriaCop

Reaction score
Originally, my board had some problems with PHP after the switch, but after my application was accepted this morning for an upgrade to Intermediate, it's fine.

grjopa

Reaction score
I am impressed by the amount of traffic x10hosting gets. Its great that all the administrators are protecting against internet hooligans

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I think it was a great idea to implement this, we don't want the whole servers down with spamming and abusing do we? Anyway I really hope this serves the purpose of preventing abusers....

mandi

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation Corey! I think the small things you ask from us are WELL worth the great service you provide! :happysad:

keshab

Reaction score
thank you..! for the great effort for making X10 so successful,
further expect a very long association with this community...

slbob

Reaction score
i switched to intermediate when the changes were first made because my site gave me an eval() error. Now, a few weeks later i'm being given a similar message, and im not sure what to do.
Fatal error: SUHOSIN - Use of eval is forbidden by configuration in /home/bob/public_html/themes/CS_CoD/theme.php(313) : eval()'d code on line 313
my site is http://rus.pcriot.com

any help you could give me would be great. and btw, i agree that these problems every once in a while are well worth the hosting service you give us on a regular basis

iamchris

Reaction score
I am new to this site, and I don't know if this is gravedigging really bad, but I really like the idea you had. It does take a lot of work to set up a site that has these kinds of offers....so thanks for keeping the rates open to the real members. :)

DMacK

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I am glad to see the staff are taking measures against all of the spammers to give those who are truly grateful for you service a better experience. Keep on doing what you all do!

michael9

Reaction score
Thanks. Glad to see you're protecting us against all of the spammers that need a life.

jensen

Reaction score
This was the error listed on my site

Fatal error: SUHOSIN - Use of preg_replace() with /e modifier is forbidden by configuration in /home/jensen/public_html/wp-includes/kses.php(446) : regexp code on line 446

And after reading the above explanations I'll go and apply to change to intermediate because WordPress won't work at the current settings.

Thanks to Corey and team for keeping the rest of us safe from the abuse of the servers

chris101

Reaction score
i switched to intermediate when the changes were first made because my site gave me an eval() error. Now, a few weeks later i'm being given a similar message, and im not sure what to do.

my site is http://rus.pcriot.com

any help you could give me would be great. and btw, i agree that these problems every once in a while are well worth the hosting service you give us on a regular basis

i went to your site but its been hacked

theroms

Reaction score
Hi, I just upgraded to an "intermediate" level for my account where I will soon migrate my website, as soon as I see it's working fine. The message said I would receive a mail confirming that the configuration had changed, which I received. So I went to test the eval function but it's still not working. Do I have to wait even more untill the configuration is really changed (not only confirmed through email) or will I have to
proceed through other steps to get things running correctly ? In case, please tell me which because so far I can't find more.:dunno:
Thanks, rom's

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I just upgraded to an "intermediate" level for my account where I will soon migrate my website, as soon as I see it's working fine. The message said I would receive a mail confirming that the configuration had changed, which I received. So I went to test the eval function but it's still not working. Do I have to wait even more untill the configuration is really changed (not only confirmed through email) or will I have to
proceed through other steps to get things running correctly ? In case, please tell me which because so far I can't find more.:dunno:
Thanks, rom's

Can you link me to your test page so I can see the error?

theroms

Reaction score
sure, the test page is at http://castagneguena.x10hosting.com/azertyuiop.php
and the code is simply
PHP:
<?php
$yop = "not eval'ed";
$ev = "\$yop = \"eval'ed\";";
echo "$ev";
eval($ev);
echo "<br/>$yop";
?>
the result is
$yop = "eval'ed";
Fatal error: SUHOSIN - Use of eval is forbidden by configuration in /home/roms/public_html/azertyuiop.php(5) : eval()'d code on line 5
Edit:
It's now working, great :bowdown:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.