Reaction score
PHP:
<?php include(); ?>
PHP:
<?php require(); ?>

whats the diffrence

Rising

Reaction score
One is probably going to get cut out in a future version of PHP, like some of the older functions that have newer codes, i might be wrong, (someone who actually knows PHP say something) im just using an educated guess, because my friend says they do this kind of stuff all the time

dharmil

Reaction score
if its the same thing they might do that but i am not sure if its the same so i am asking

dsfreak

Reaction score
Well, I would look here, as it looks to tell you what they do, basically. http://builder.com.com/5100-31-5077715.html
^^ Yes, .com.com IS CORRECT, NOT A TYPO

But, I think require happens to require the page's content in the page the "require" tag is in, while include seems to be used more to check authentication, like, (not really code), "if login=true then include ('file.php')", while require would be like, "Copyright require ('ipblicensecheck.ipb.com/8989990980.php')" to require that file to validate, otherwise, the page will not load.

Anyone, correct me if I am wrong... Thanks!

dharmil

Reaction score
no it wil still be there because there are is other things you can do with it like creat a navagation thing with it

dharmil

Reaction score
my site
forums
news
shout
all the pages
navagation

every thing requires includes functuion

ak007

Reaction score
You Are Wrong!
Actually if You Include A File Using "Include()" and If PHP Fails To Include That File PHP Will Give You Warnings But Will Cotinue processing Script But On The Other Hand If You Include The File Using "require()" And PHP Fails To include It PHP Will OutPut Warnings + Terminate The Script

Last edited:

dharmil

Reaction score
ak007 said:
You Are Wrong!
Actually if You Include A File Using "Include()" and If PHP Fails To Include That File PHP Will Give You Warnings But Will Cotinue processing Script But On The Other Hand If You Include The File Using "require()" And PHP Fails To include It PHP Will OutPut Warnings + Terminate The Script

thanks for the update

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Yea I was wondering if you (Ak007) were going to post. ;-)

What he said is exactly true. When you use the include() construct, if the "file to be included" does not exist or cannot be included, you will just emit E_WARNING level error, which will not "stop" your script from running.

With the require() construct, if the file can not be "included" into the script, the parser will generate an error level of E_ERROR, which is a fatal error and will halt the script immediatly.

Another thing you might know about, or might not, whatever, (I just skimmed over the thread.), is the include_once() and require_once() constructs. Each one is just about teh same as just require() and include(), except they will make sure a script is only included ONCE, and nothing more.

Ahh, I think I got that all right. I hope. :-/

anthony-mcgowan52

Reaction score
The main difference is that require(); will produce a fatal error if an error occurs and halt the script so there is no further output, whereas include(); will produce a warning and then carry on with the rest of the script.

You would therefore use require(); (or require_once) if you want to make certain there is no messy output should an error occur, and include(); if perhaps that is not such an issue with this.