PHP mail function issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmdesi2

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm having memory allocation issues using php mail function. The error is this: [Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 18446744072552855720 bytes) in /home/username/public_html/mail.php on line 2]

I've setup an example script on my domain to show the error in action: http://jpmdesigns.x10host.com/mail.php

The script contains the below code only:
<?php
mail("jai@jpmdesigns.x10host.com", "Test Subject", "Test Body");​
?>

The actual script that I'm working on and initially received the error with is here: http://test.jai-designs.com/boxtar/register.php

This only started to happen about 13 hours ago - It has been working perfectly fine for at least a month before that and I tested it quite extensively yesterday (on a couple of machines) and it was sending out mails to several addresses no problem.

Is this an issue with Free Hosting Limits or should I perhaps be posting this issue on a PHP forum elsewhere? (it does seem like a really high memory request for sending an email - the amount does vary but it always tends to be just under 1GB!)

Thanks,

Jpm.

*Edit* - added the actual error message (forgot about that!)

Last edited:

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I have the same issue - using your script with my Email address - with my account on free-hosting server [ xo3 ]

BUT
my error is --> [ Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 18446744072114658683 bytes)... ]

tried to allocate just a 'few' too many bytes

jpmdesi2

Reaction score
Yeah just a tad too many - lol.

If I get no joy here in the morning then I'll head over to a PHP forum somewhere for some answers.

If any Community Support Representative looks at this please note that some of the hosting upgrade links are broken (i was going to upgrade to see if that got rid of the issue)

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
my site is now down with the error - it is using the same scrip for a few months with no errors

I am going to test that script on other hosts - but I think this is a x10hosting issue

Last edited:

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
did some tests on other hosts - using the OP's example script - had no issues

Last edited:

izonex74

Reaction score
I'm actually getting a 500 Internal Server error when I execute the mail function... thoughts?

jpmdesi2

Reaction score
I'm actually getting a 500 Internal Server error when I execute the mail function... thoughts?

Hey Izonex - Did you get that error when attempting to execute the script via my domain or are you getting the internal server error when you execute the mail function on your own domain?

jpmdesi2

Reaction score
For Info: I tested the php mail function on an x10hosting premium account and it worked fine.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
For Info: I tested the php mail function on an x10hosting premium account and it worked fine.
that should be - "Premium" accounts do not use the same SMTP server that all free-hosting accounts use

jpmdesi2

Reaction score
This can be closed as there are already a few threads created for this exact issue and I have no interest anymore: I've migrated all my files to a premium account where everything is just splendid :)

Peace,
jpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.